News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK 2 + award document / earned for battle near Zbrucz

Hello,

I obtained yesterday a glider legacy and among the goodies there where also some WWI things from that family. A small grouping from one soldier :

Musketier Zeppenfeld - 4./I.R. 173

He earned his EK 2 in octobre 1917 (as a part of the 223 I.D.)

The rest of his legacy is:

* Wound badge black + document

* Hindenburgcross + document

* Stahlhelm membership pin

Can any of you guys give me more information on the unit, where where they during WWI etc ...

Cordial greetings + thanks for looking,

Stijn,

The 223.Division was formed in the fall of 1916. The IR173 had been in the 34.Division. In May of 1917 it went to the Russian front for the first and only time. It was in Galicia until Dec.-Jan. 1917 when it was sent back to the West. The IR173 was originally drawn from the Rhineland and Westphalian provinces.

Chip

Hello,

Thank you for that information on the Division's battle record. The soldier did originate from Dortmund.

How often are WWI related documents found with a description on the reverse about where a certain award was earned? probably quite common but for me a first.

Will post more pictures once the scans are ready.

Cordial greetings + thanks once again, :cheers:

Hello,

And here are the rest of his awards as given towards me:

* EK 2

* Hindenburg cross (maker mark: R.V. PFORZHEiM N? 5)

* Black wound badge (no maker mark)

* Small ribbon bar => sorry upside down scan :speechless: )

* STahlhelm membership pin ( maker mark OWS or DWS in a triangle + GES.GESCH)

A small grouping from a WWI soldier who survived the madness and did become a 'Buchhalter' after WWI :cheers:

Cordial greetings,

Edited by Stijn David

• 1 month later...

How often are WWI related documents found with a description on the reverse about where a certain award was earned? probably quite common but for me a first.

Most WW1 award documents do not refer to the circumstances of the award, although some EK documents, such as those for the XXVI Reserve-Korps, provide details of the location and sometimes for the act.

Citations are only typical for the rarer bravery awards.