News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How to wear White Lion ribbon ?

Hello All,

I'm writing this post because I would like to know some information about the White Lion Order.

Before to make my questions, I would like to mention that I discovered that 2 British Field Marshals (Alan Brooke and Montgomery) did received both the :

- Czechoslovakia, Order of the White Lion 'for Victory' (Star 1st Class)

- Czechoslovakia, Order of the White Lion, 1st Class

First question :

Must I consider both the awards above described, pertaining to one and the same Order in which that 'for Victory' was a sort of special class issued for the victorius end of WW2 to the Allied Forces or, this last is a separate Order from its own ?

Regarding the 2 British Field Marshals above mentioned I also noted that :

1) Field Marshal Alan Brooke, in his miniature medal rack, worn contemporaneously both the miniatures for the 2 types (classes ??) of the Order above listed.

2) Field Marshal Montgomery in his ribbon bar worn 2 same ribbons to represent (I think) the 2 different awards of this Order.

My 2nd and most important question :

Was the recipient of both 2 types (classes ??) above mentioned of the White Lion Order, authorized to wear on His ribbon bar 2 identical ribbons to represent either the '1st class' and the special class "for Victory" ?

Or, being the same Order, it was sufficient to wear only 1 ribbon for both 2 types (classes ??) ?

Awaiting to hear from you again

Thanks for the help

Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hello Lilo,

Let me be the first to answer your questions. As usual, I am out of reach of my library resources, so I am answering "off the head". I'll consult my books when I am back home. Still, this is what I am certain of:

The Order of the White Lion and the Order of the White Lion "for Victory" were actually two separate orders. The former was (and still is) a standard order of merit in usual five classes, reduced to three in 1960 (as far as I remember) and intended mainly for foreign nationals for merit to Czechoslovakia. The latter was intended for commaders of (chiefly allied) armed forces, also in five classes, but these were quite unusual:

1. Star 1st Class
    2. Star 2nd Class
    3. Cross
    4. Gold Medal
    5. Silver Medal

Although the ribbon for both orders was the same (red with white side stripes), a miniature replica of the respective badge was worn on the ribbon bar of the order "for Victory", while the "standard" OWL used rosettes and gold/silver laces.

Anyway, if the recipient had both types of the order, he could wear the ribbon bars of both at the same time.

I hope this will help,

Lukasz

Hello Lukasz,

I must thank you one more time : as usual your answer is what I was looking for.

As an aside, as I'm researching the full medal entitlement of British High Ranking officers, I would like to know if you have some list to establish who received the 'Military Order of the White Lion for Victory'.

I already know that Field Marshals Montgomery and Alan Brooke received the 1st class for this Order; I also know that Field Marshal Alexander did received this Order (I think the 1st class because of the golden crossed swords in the breast star) but I don't know 'when' (year/month) in which He received it: Can you let me know ?

Last, do you have also a list of the British (High Ranking Army, RAF, Royal Navy officers) recipients that received the 'White Lion Order', from which we can know and distinguish who received the military verison with 'swords' form those who received the 'civil' version ?

My two late requests are only informations that I would receive if possible (so don't bother if it is a more difficult task) : the important question was already ansered by you, Lukasz

All the best

Lilo