News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Chris.

Thank you for showing this as this regiment and others (Hanoverian)from my home area are dear to my heart.

I would guess that the Gold Wound badge was given on account of a severe wound resulting in loss of limb or such. In support of this thinking I quote the job decription of "Schrankenwaerter" ( railroad crossing guard) in the award doc. for the Hindenburg Cross which job could still be handled by a somewhat invalid person.

This regiment (2.Hann.)Inf.Rgt. Nr. 77 lost more than 5200 who died in action. One officer ( on detached duty) won the PLM, seven the Hohenzoller. Five enlisted personnel were awarded the rare Kgl. Preuss. militaer-Verdienstkreuz in Gold. A total of 146 E.K. I class and 4 965 EK Ii class were awarded per the regimental history.

Bernhard H. Holst