News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Army Kit Layouts.

British Soldiers are required to produce their uniforms & equipment & bedding in a certain fashion, this layout for kit inspection varies from unit to unit & of course has changed over time.

Often it is or was recorded as a photograph or other form of illustration for reference, either in a manual or posted on the wall of barrack block.

Even when not made up for a formal inspection, uniform, equipment, bedding is required to be kept in a certain order on a day to day basis - perhaps the bedding made into a blanket box or block, kitbag wrapped around suitcase so that the soldier's stencilled name & other details are visible, on top of the locker, perhaps with a mess tin placed either side. It varies, often teh more demanding arrangements are imposed during training or as a punishment.

This photograph is on a page removed from a book, of about 1916 I believe, & is that of a soldier of the South Staffordshire Regiment.

This photo is crudely mounted on card, the pencilled writing bottom right states "Essex Studios Chelmsford" & the cap badge shown on the sidecap is that of the Essex Regiment.

1908 webbing but with the Universal Pattern Field Service Cap - sidecap - introduced 1939 along with Battledress.

• 4 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Circa 1915, a kit layout placed outside the barrack hut for photographic purposes.

1914 Pattern leather equipment on display, the cap badges/ titles - I can't make them out, but they will be Cheshire Regiment or possibly East Surreys by the look of them.

Photo from an article in "The Great War 1914 - 1918" August 1995, published by "Broadsword".

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Here is a photo from my collection taken in Ireland around 1900 or so. While it does not show the kit laid out for inspection it does show how a soldier was expected the keep his equipment organized. It also illustrates the kind of personal belongings that a typical soldier might have around his bunk.

SoldiersBunk.jpg

This is a photograph of my grandfather's inspection bed or kit layout for the Special Service Battalion, a South African unit, during World War 2. He was a veteran of the North African and Italian campaigns in the Second World War. He was a sargeant in the Regiment.

• 3 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

A section of a Vctorian era handkerchief "Fulton's Miltary Handkerchief. Patent No. 10774".

It has a number of illustrations with supporting text, eg firing from behind cover, skirmishing, bugle calls, the "naming of parts" of the Martni - Henry rifle - &this one - infantry kit:

• 6 months later...