News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French battleship

Hundtorget

Hello Hundtorget

This is a very interesting photography and the names signed in the back are even more : one of the officers was Fran?ois DARLAN who was to become an Admiral of the Fleet. He was in command of the French Navy during the first part of WW2 (1939-1940) and became Marshall Petain's second during the Vichy government (1940-1942).

On a visit to his son who was a Naval officer, he happened to be in Algiers when the Allied forces landed in North Africa. The Americans considered him to be the best representative of the French for them to deal with. But he was shot by a young man called Bonnier de La Chapelle (November 1942).

After some hesitation, General De Gaulle was finally recognised by both the French and the Allies as the leader of the Fighting France.

Such a signature adds considerably to the value of your picture, I would say. Congratulations

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Thankyou very much for that very interesting information!

I shall try to investigate that photo more. I still dont knov about witch harbour they visited and who Alexejew was. Maybe that ship visited Reval - Tallin because many other photos are from there.