News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PLM citation for XIII Corps Freiherr Theodor von Watter and book advice

Hello,

Im wondering if anyone can help me out with two queries. First Im in need of the PLM citation for General Freiherr Theodor von Watter that he received on 1 Sep 1916, can anyone post it here?

Second and perhaps more important, can anyone provide advice on any currently available books that would contain information such as the WW1 PLM citations? I hate having to ask for such info from others if it's in a readily available source. I've been looking up reference books on the PLM, but before I put money down and order something I'd be interested in what people here would recommend as a source for the WW1 period.

With thanks in advance,

Andrew.

I am unaware of any book ever having been published with CITATIONS for Pour le Merites. :(

Maybe 'citations' is the wrong word, my understanding is that Hamelman's third vol. (1986) on the PLM contains details on the nature or substantiation for awards bestowed during WW1. A colleague provided me with details for a couple of recipients in the past from this source though I am unfamiliar with its specific contents overall. I was simply wondering if anyone could confirm if Watter is mentioned in this book as I cannot get access to it at present, and if such info is regular throughout the volume.

Thanks anyway,

Cheers,

Andrew

von Watter per Hamelman

158. von Watter, Frhr. Theodor,

General of Infantry, Commander, XIII, Army Corps.

(Awarded the Pour le Merite Order in recognition of outstanding leadership and distinguished military planning and successful operations during fighting along the Yser canal in stopping the British during their first Somme offensive.)

Direct quotation from The History of the Prussian Pour le Merite Order, Volume III, 1888 - 1918 by William E. Hamelman (page 463).

I own all three volumes and find them useful. I can not testify to the author's reputation. The volumes were published by Matthaus Publishers, P.O. Box 1361, Dallas, TX 75221, 1986.

I bought my copies from the Toy Soldier - a small book store and military miniature shop outside the gates of West Point (Highland Falls, NY). On my last contact with them, they stated that they no longer deal in books.

Hello Andrew,

there is an outstanding book of Hans M?ller-Witten "Geschichte der Ritter des Ordens pour le m?rite im Weltkrieg" from 1935 mentioned every knight of this order in WWI with a short biography and with the reason for the award. For GdI Theodor von Watter I found there about 3 pages. If this information in German is usefull for you, I could add a scan here.

with regards, Komtur.

Hello Andrew,

there is an outstanding book of Hans M?ller-Witten "Geschichte der Ritter des Ordens pour le m?rite im Weltkrieg" from 1935 mentioned every knight of this order in WWI with a short biography and with the reason for the award. For GdI Theodor von Watter I found there about 3 pages. If this information in German is usefull for you, I could add a scan here.

with regards, Komtur.

Hi Komtur,

Yes please, I would appreciate the scan very much.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Hi Komtur,

Yes please, I would appreciate the scan very much.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Sorry for the bad quality of the scans, but it is difficult to manage with the space of 110 K. If you get problems with reading, I have to split the pages in two parts... Or give me your e-mail address.

With regards, Komtur.

Sorry for the bad quality of the scans, but it is difficult to manage with the space of 110 K. If you get problems with reading, I have to split the pages in two parts... Or give me your e-mail address.

With regards, Komtur.

Hi Komtur,

Thank you very much for these, you can also send me higher res scans at email: tuxford1 (at) mac (dot) com

Again this is greatly apprecaited, what a fantastic source!

Andrew.