News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austria - Imperial Order of Leopold to foreign

lilo

Hello All

I'm trying to confirm the award of the 'Austria, Imperial Leopold Order' to 2 british recipients.

I think that the below listed British persons received the 'Grosskreuz' of the 'Austria, Imperial Leopold Order' : Wood in 1904 and Mountbatten in 1908.

- Field Marshal Sir Henry Evelyn WOOD (1838-1919) ;

- Admiral of the Fleet Louis Alexander Mountbatten, 1st Marquess of Milford Haven (1854-1921).

1st Question :

Can you confirm that they both received the 'Grosskreuz' class of this Order and that the year of awards (1904 and 1908) are correct ?

Last, I read somewhere (I don't exactly remember but it should be in a forum) that the version of the 'Imperial Leopold Order' awarded to foreign (i.e. NON Austrian people) had the 'Austrian Crown & Ribands/scroll' of the suspension removed.

In other words, considering the Sash badge of the Order, the part formed by the 'Crown + Scrolls' through which the ribbon pass, is removed and substituted with a simple ring for the version destined to foreign.

2nd question :

Is it true the above statement ?

I would greatly appreciated you help and you can answer also with a simple 'yes' and or 'Not'

All the Best

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hi Lilo,

I'll check if the two British personalities received the Leopold Order, and which class.

Anyways, I can say -with no doubt- that the Leopold Order, when awarded to foreigners, was of the same type as the one awarded to Austrians; in other words, complete with crown/pendilia above the cross.

Kind regards and best wishes,

Enzo

Hi Lilo,

I'll check if the two British personalities received the Leopold Order, and which class.

Anyways, I can say -with no doubt- that the Leopold Order, when awarded to foreigners, was of the same type as the one awarded to Austrians; in other words, complete with crown/pendilia above the cross.

Kind regards and best wishes,

Enzo

Ciao Enzo,

Thank you very much for the Help : I have much appreciated it.

Before to start the search I asked to do above (i.e. previous posting) I would like to know and more in general, if you can Help me in confirming the awards also of other Austrian ORDERS to some High Ranking BRITISH officer.

Please let me know

All the Best

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hi Lilo,

before searching more accurately, I can confirm the award of the St. Stephen's Order (Grand Cross) to King Edward VII and King George V (see: S. Patterson: "Royal Insignia - British and Foreign Orders of Chivalry from the Royal Collection"; London, 1996, pages 78-82).

From the years of the Napoleonic Wars, we need to remember the 8 British Cavalry officers:

Maj. Robert Pocklington;

Lieut.Col. William Aylett;

Maj. Edward Ryan;

Maj. Cranby Calcraft;

Maj. William Kier (or Keir);

Maj. Edward Butler (or Buttler);

Maj. Robert Wilson;

Capt. Charles Blount

who, thanks to their heroic deeds at the battle of Villiers-en-Crouch? (near Cambrai) on April 24th 1794, saved Emperor Francis II from being taken prisoner or killed.

The Emperor, impressed from their valour, let a large gold medal be struck and awarded it to them, since the Maria Theresia Order couldn't be awarded to foreigners. Later, on Nov. 7th 1800, the Emperor created the 8 officers knights of the Maria Theresia Order (after a modification to the Order's statutes), allowing them to still keep the gold medal as a visible sign of his appreciation.

Two of those excessively rare sets (Gold Medal with neck-chain and MMThO Cross): the ones belonged to Edward Buttler and Robert Pocklington, have been sold from Spink's in the mid '60s.

Best wishes,

Enzo

Hello,

after some research, I've found a photographic portrait of Sir Evelyn Wood. It is preserved at the National Portrait Gallery, London.

The Grand Cross breast star of the Imperial Austrian Order of Leopold (for time of peace) is clearly visible.

Best wishes,

Enzo