News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Moral Guidance & Public Relations

Hello there...new member, first time forum post, ha ha. Greetings to one and all from Sydney, Australia.

Can anyone help me to identify Middle Eastern 'Moral Guidance and Public Relations' unit insignia? This broad unit covers everything from Public Relations, Media Operations, Moral guidance, army morale and psychological operations. Any help most appreciated.

Drew

Drew,

Here in Saudi the local bearded mystics who are employed by the Morality Commission or "Department for the Propagation of Virtue and the Suppression of Vice" (mutawin) wear everyday clothes and are usually accompanied when prowling the shopping centres by uniformed civil police who perform the dual role of validating the authority of the individual Mutawa in question, but also at times protecting him from any outraged victims. In 18+ years I have yet to see a uniform for such personnel and indeed wearing a uniform which would smack of nasty pervasive western dress, i.e. trousers, would not be in keeping with their world viewpoint. In visiting over the years the rest of the GCC (Gulf Co-operation Council - Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and UAE), Egypt, Jordan, Sudan and Syria I have seen no evidence of any such uniformed civil personnel. Iran of course may be different.

Regards from Riyadh,

Owain.

Drew,

Here in Saudi the local bearded mystics who are employed by the Morality Commission or "Department for the Propagation of Virtue and the Suppression of Vice" (mutawin) wear everyday clothes and are usually accompanied when prowling the shopping centres by uniformed civil police who perform the dual role of validating the authority of the individual Mutawa in question, but also at times protecting him from any outraged victims. In 18+ years I have yet to see a uniform for such personnel and indeed wearing a uniform which would smack of nasty pervasive western dress, i.e. trousers, would not be in keeping with their world viewpoint. In visiting over the years the rest of the GCC (Gulf Co-operation Council - Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and UAE), Egypt, Jordan, Sudan and Syria I have seen no evidence of any such uniformed civil personnel. Iran of course may be different.

Regards from Riyadh,

Owain.

Hello Owain.....and thank you for you kind reply. Is their a morale guidance department inthe military? I attach a picture of a patch for your review and clarrification.......I seem to think that perhaps a difference between moral guidance and morale guidance is where I am going wrong in my research. Have a look at this....

67db.jpg

Is that Saudi? Is is MORALE GUIDANCE ?

Kind regards....Drew

Reading right to left "rukn al-towjiah........." third word is unclear, but the first tow words can be translated as "place of advice...." . This is, to my mind, not Saudi as the quality does not appear to be up to Saudi standards nor does it include the inevitable KSA emblem of a palm and crossed swords which from experience is present in most KSA items.

Regards,

Owain

Thanks Owain.

Do you have much reference material on Saudi Army badges, unit patches etc?

Reason being, I was was wondering if such a unit exist in Saudi Arabia? I'd really like to identify such MORALE & GUIDANCE units. I know such units exist for Jordan, Oman and Kuwait......Am I on the right track with the follwoing picture?

Kind regards, and any help is always much appreciated -Drew google_banner.gif

Drew,

This translates roughly as "Directorate of Morale Guidance and Public Affairs Kuwaiti Army". Hope this helps.

With regard to Saudi insignia these were once fairly freely available but since the security clampdown in 2003/4 it is now very difficult to come by any insignisa - I have contacts with the Britiah Military Mission attached to the Saudi National Guard (separte and disticnct from Minitry of Defence & Aviation) - I will ask if they are aware of such a department.

Owain

Drew,

This translates roughly as "Directorate of Morale Guidance and Public Affairs Kuwaiti Army". Hope this helps.

With regard to Saudi insignia these were once fairly freely available but since the security clampdown in 2003/4 it is now very difficult to come by any insignisa - I have contacts with the Britiah Military Mission attached to the Saudi National Guard (separte and disticnct from Minitry of Defence & Aviation) - I will ask if they are aware of such a department.

Owain

SUPERB...........All that internet surfing one Friday afternoon at work paid off.......my Boss will be glad I put his time to good use, ha ha........WONDERFUL to have confirmation. Again Owain, thanks for your wonderful help! Any chance of getting the Kuwait badges????