News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870 IC2 Non combat

Since we just got that awesome list posted, thanks Glen :cheers: I thought I would post this bar. It has been on the forum before, and Stogie sold it to me last year. The draw for me was the IC2 Non combat version of the IC 1870. Being very interested in the Chaplains in the German military, I really found this bar interesting. I know of one definate award of a IC2 NC cross to a chaplain in the Fraco-Prussian War, and I hope Glen's list will shed more light on this for me.

The cross has a few features that I would like to ask about. Rick (x2--both of them) thought this was an issue rather than a later piece. Is that noted by the double strike on the 1870? How are you able to tell an issue piece, rather than one made after the war. 4,000 IC2 NC were awarded during the war (according to Gordon and The Iron Time) -- but how many of those were actually given out. Was this like the 1813 IC, where less than were awarded were actually given?

Sorry if I have a few of my facts wrong. I am making the pleasent switch from III Reich militaria to Imperial German (for which my wife blames all of you...esspecially you Boonzaier :cheeky: ), so I'm trying to really learn as I go along--thanks all

Edited by Chris Liontas

Guest Rick Research

You must have asked a Third Ricky since like Sergeant Schultz, I know nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnothing about 1870s! Before "my" time.

That's not a double-strike. Simply excess material from the pressing/stamping of the core and this is a typical, period issue cross. This can be confirmed through any of the usual sources in Germany. Remember that quality control on issue 1870 EK2's was less than perfect. This can be exemplified by not only the excess iron from the stamping, but the rather phenomonal number of crosses out there that have the lower cross arm out of alignment.

Guest Rick Research

Shonuf! This is why I am the GOOD Ricky:

Pilgrims always keep knocking at my monastery gate, and every time I tell them the same thing:

Epson scanner is secret of true inner happiness. :catjava:

Guest Rick Research

Edges, we of the Epson-Borg cannot do. Fronts and backs, yassss.

The silk ribbons on this bar are immaculate.

Guest Rick Research

From the Dim Dark Turn Of The Century Days...

Quality control? You want QUALITY control?

NOT a trick or distorted scan. This puppy couldn't stand up straight! :speechless1: