News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guatamalan Campaign Medal of 1906

Nope-not an election medal despite what it says on the front.

This little silver medal is actually a campaign medal, awarded to the Guatemalan soldiers-probably all of 5,000 or so of them, who repulsed the El Salvadoran invasion of 1906. Reading contemporary Guatemalan accounts, this campaign rivaled the Trojan War for epic heroism. The reality was much more squalid...a foreign attempt to reinstate a rapacious Caudillo/Presidente.

Still, it's a rare and nice little piece and represents one of the few Guatemalan combat awards not given for massacring Mayan Indians-armed or otherwise, or for staging a coup.

Now if I could just find a ribbon.....

Edited by Ulsterman

• 1 month later...

Nope-not an election medal despite what it says on the front.

This little silver medal is actually a campaign medal, awarded to the Guatemalan soldiers-probably all of 5,000 or so of them, who repulsed the El Salvadoran invasion of 1906. Reading contemporary Guatemalan accounts, this campaign rivaled the Trojan War for epic heroism. The reality was much more squalid...a foreign attempt to reinstate a rapacious Caudillo/Presidente.

Still, it's a rare and nice little piece and represents one of the few Guatemalan combat awards not given for massacring Mayan Indians-armed or otherwise, or for staging a coup.

Now if I could just find a ribbon.....

hello Jeff,

you have a very nice medal!! I have never seen this one before, thanks for sharing the image with us.

the causes of the war were more than an attemtp to reinstate another dictator. several Guatemalan generals that were in exile wanted to overthrow the dictator of that time in Guatemala, with the support of Mexico and other Central American republics, on of them the former president of El Salvador and by the time of the war, minister of war, General Tomas Regalado. he dreamed to revive the old United States of Central America under his lidership.

it was more an attempt to obtain the union of the central american republics by the force, as said before, the last attempt to revive the United States (Provinces) of Central America that had a life 4 times during century XIX with different levels of success. the war had a sudden end with the death in action of the minister of the war of El Salvador and main promoter of the conflict, that commanded our army in the invasion of Guatemala. the war begun july 9 of 1906 and the end of hostilities takes effect july 17 of 1906. after his death our army retreated to our country followed of the Guatemalan army invasion. during the Guatemalan invasion another army from El Salvador invade as well Guatemala for the south. the 17th ( day of the end of the hostilities) the Guatemalans mounted a final attack with 6000 soldiers against our army that defend my country in the invasion front ( at the north of my country), being defeated and then they retreated to their country. our army stayed in south of Guatemala until the sign of the peace accord on board of the US war ship Marblehead.

Cordial greetings,

Humberto

Edited by Humberto Corado

• 4 weeks later...

wow-thanks Humberto-good information. So the war lasted only 8 days? I thought it was longer, but my sources here (the NYT index, Latin Amrican Wars vols 1+2) are not exactly complete.

Do you have any idea as to a ribbon colour?

Was there an El Salvadoran campaign medal as well?