News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe flak on the Eastern Front

Back in 1995, some of our family members elected to come and visit us here in the United States. Knowing that I had a love of German World War II history, the wife brought along a series of photographs that her father, my mother's first cousin, took while stationed with a flak unit in Russia, as he had recently passed away, and none of the family living in Germany wanted them. When asked if I was interested in them, I couldn't say yes fast enough. I thought I would share them with the membership.

Edited by Frank Mills

His name was Adolf Dwenger. He was born in Bremen, Germany in 1920, spent his compulsory service time in the RAD, and once this was completed, enlisted in the Luftwaffe. He did not become involved in the French campaigns of 1940, but did serve on occupation duty, defending the U boat bases in Brest against Allied aerial attacks, prior to the invasion of Russia. Once this began, he served with Luftwaffe flak units from the beginning of the campaign in Russia until the end of the war.

Here's a period studio shot of Adolf.

Edited by Frank Mills

One of the unit's Adolf was stationed with was an 88 unit that had its guns mounted on rail cars. Here's one pic of a gun that was assigned to this unit. This picture is rather small, and blurry, but notice the kill rings, and the name painted on the barrel.

Edited by Frank Mills

Here, in this final shot, is a good picture for uniform buffs. Note the variety of uniform items being worn by his gun crew. Adolf is the guy lying on his side to the left of the photograph in the foreground.

Hope you enjoy reviewing these photographs.

Respectfully,

Frank

Edited by Frank Mills