News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mystery Pilot/Aircrew Badge - ID help please!

Hello everyone,

I used to think I was pretty adept at identifying bits of militaria...until I picked up this badge. I acquired it with a small accumulation of WWI and WWII British and Canadian cap badges (all of which are genuine period pieces). However, this certainly isn't British or Commonwealth...

It appears to be a pilot or aircrew badge of some sort, but I have not been able to determine its country of origin. Most people that have seen in feel that it is most likely Pre-WWII South American, quite possibly from Ecuador.

It's made of what I feel is gilded bronze. The insignia at the bottom is enamelled in different colours. There are no visible rivets, but the badge is made of 3 parts: the wreath portion, the bottom insignia and the wings.

The wreath portion measures approx 45 mm x 35 mm and the wings are about 55mm.

The top of the badge features a crossed propeller and anchor (naval aviation?), the centre is a pair of wings with a clenched fist in the middle, the enamelled insignia at the bottom appears to be a bird of some sort soaring over a mountainous landscape with a river in the foreground.

At a guess, the design and construction possibly hints at some Germanic influence: Oakleaf wreath in the oval shape... but from there similarities cease.

There is no maker's mark, or writing on the badge of any kind. The insignia suggest a military connection to me...however, I have not found a match anywhere I have looked online and I have scoured every site I could find about both civil and military aviation insignia.

It's extremely well made, and shows some wear. Definitely not something made too recently.

I've attached photos of the obverse and reverse...I am confident that at least one of you can tell me what this badge is, where it's from and what its significance is!

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers,

Adam

Guest Rick Research

I agree the state crest is more like ECUADOR's.

Ye Great Blue Wuzzit must be a version of the Andean condor, which doesn't help much, being generic thereabouts.

But the marshland with snowy mountains I betcha will turn out to be Ecuador.

I agree the state crest is more like ECUADOR's.

Ye Great Blue Wuzzit must be a version of the Andean condor, which doesn't help much, being generic thereabouts.

But the marshland with snowy mountains I betcha will turn out to be Ecuador.

With the greatest respect to Rick, I don't think this is the national emblem of Ecuador, Colombia or Venezuela, and I don't recognize it as belonging to Brazil, Peru or Argentina. I specifically said national emblem, as it might be a service specific emblem. In any case, looks like naval aviation.

Hugh

It's very similar to an Ecuadorean coat of arms that I will post when I get home. It's not exact but it's the closest I've seen to my badge.

Have to remember that this is probably 1920s/30s so current national emblems may differ from that period.

I agree, must be naval aviation of some sort judging by the symbology.

• 9 months later...

I am sorry to say that, but you are all wrong :rolleyes:

This is a bogde of a Non Govermental Organisation:

SCADTA

Sociedad Colombo Alemana de Transporte A?reo

(Colombo-German Air Transport Society)

It is probably a Pilots Badge, for those who made their pilots exam and were in the service of The SCADTA.

That is what I found in the web.

http://scadta.org/

http://web.me.com/scadta/Scadta-Fluggesell...Willkommen.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCADTA

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=true

I guess its not much but I certainly solved the mystery and for this I shod be awarded with the badge :cheers:

If you want to sell it, just write me a message

Well, shame on me! I've flown many times on Avianca, and it appears that SCADTA may have merged with them. Or perhaps SCADTA was the original organization. I vaguely remember some Ggerman ancestry in Avianca. Oh, well, it's all a long time ago.

Congratulations to you, Viribus, for a good catch.

Hugh

Well there you go! Thanks very much for the ID!

I will probably sell the badge down the road...but first I think I will do some research on the SCADTA, never heard tell of this organization.

Thanks again to everyone that assisted.

Cheers,

Adam