News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EKII Document 1914

I don't posess many award documents, but I recently aquired this rather faded certificate for an officer with his EK. I don't have access to ranklists and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this individual it would be nice to find out a bit more about him would appreciate any help.

Guest Rick Research

Ah... this is a tricky one, with nothing else to go by.

There were TWO of them.

A Lt dR Heilgendorff was in Baden IR 112 when the war started, resident in BERLIN.

A Lt dR Heilgendorff was in the GARDE Train Abteilung, holding LD2, alsoi resident in Berlin when teh wwar started.

The tricky thing about thsi sort of delayed paperwork is that we cannot know whether the rank shown was as of 25.2.16 when it was made out, or December 1914 when he got the EK2.

Having been issued by the Guard Corps General Command, I'd assume this belonged to the Train battalion officer. WE would assume that the other one would have reported to his unit in Baden-- but he's not on the Z?hringen Lion wartime rolls, so perhaps not.

Fortunately for them, but not for us, neither was killed during the war, so can't eliminate one when both were still alive in 1916.

It might be possible to track them down in the online Berlin city directories if we had first names to go with.