News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please, can you confirm the award of Prussian Black Eagle + Red Eagle ?

About the RAO 1st Class versus Grand Cross awards to SAO recipients ? some clarification seems to be in order.

These orders are of almost equal antiquity ? the SAO?s foundation is in 1701 and the RAO in 1705. I have no statute reference for the SAO but it would appear that this order (as the premier Prussian Hausorden) was stable from the outset. I say this cautiously because I do not know if the collar was a later addition.

The orders were linked as of 12 June 1792. This linkage entitled the SAO recipient to the RAO. This same statute made the RAO a prerequisite for future SAO bestowal.

The Grand Cross of the RAO was established in 1861 and this became the SAO entitlement. Hence ? prior to 1861, the 1st class of the RAO was, in fact the grade linked to the SAO.

I base these statements on Hamelman?s ?Of Red Eagles and Royal Crowns? ? his English language translation of the governing statutes of the Prussian Red Eagle and Crown orders.

Thank you for the additional clarification. I was going by the Handbuch ?ber den K?niglich Preussischen Hof und Staat, but the earliest edition I have is 1874. I don't have an earlier one or an earlier K?niglich Preussischer Staats-Kalender.

Thank you for the additional clarification. I was going by the Handbuch ?ber den K?niglich Preussischen Hof und Staat, but the earliest edition I have is 1874. I don't have an earlier one or an earlier K?niglich Preussischer Staats-Kalender.

Dave,

You are very welcome and I am glad when I can contribute a little ? doesn?t happen too often. This stuff can get pretty murky especially if you don?t have an extensive reference library. I can not testify to Herr Hamelman?s reputation in the community but I assume that the reference cited is reliable.

wem

Hello,

Great thread and indeed great info, i was going by my memory and chats with my friend dr. Sauerwald in the past year. I should have been a bit more correct and also get my written archives with it. :banger:

The said is indeed true, before the institution of the grandcross the 1 e class was given, after the institution the GC was awarded, etc ....

Cordial greetings,

Hello again,

I was kindly informed that between the Orders awarded to Slatin there are the following :

1) Gro?komturkreuz des gro?herzoglich Mecklenburgischen Greifen-Ordens;

2) Kommandeurkreuz des k?niglich preu?ischen Kronen-Ordens;

3) Komturkreuz des herzoglichen Sachsen-Weimar-Ordens vom Wei?en Falken;

4) Italien Komturkreuz des k?niglichen Mauritius- und Lazarus-Ordens verliehen;

5) T?rkei Gro?offizierskreuz des Medjidi-Orden;

6) T?rkei Kommandeurkreuz des Osmanje-Orden erhalten;

7) Comthurkreuz (Komturkreuzes) Franz Josephs-Ordens mit dem Stern;

8) ?sterreichischerseits besa? er sonst nur die Kriegsmedaille und die Jubil?ums-Erinnerungsmedaille von 1898.

Unfortunately I don't know a single word of German language so please, can someone translate in English the above list having care to specify the exact CLASS and the Order awarded ??

Thanks again very much

All the best

Lilo

Edited by lilo