News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Republic-Sudan-Second Example

Very nice how much did you pick this piece up for: you picked it up in its state of Sudan right?

Lorenzo

Very nice how much did you pick this piece up for: you picked it up in its state of Sudan right?

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

I prefer not to discuss prices for these awards in an open forum.It turns these items into cheap objects and creates a false market from which some of the owners exploit a very interesting and fascinating field that has only recently afforded us the opportunity to actually see and study these pieces.All the Sudanese items I have in my collection have been obtained and purchased in the Sudan.It is very difficult to clear these items through Sudanese customs. I have opted for the official request channel through the Director General of Sudanese Customs for permission to take both medals and artifacts home.Official permission has been granted on all occassions but it is a very lengthy and tedious process.I intend setting up a display on the Battle of Omdurman in August in Johannesburg to commemorate the 110th anniversary of the battle which is in September this year.

I went to a wedding in Khartoum in 1999 and browsed the shops - few and far between but had some modest success and flew back to Saudi with medals. Customs are now, it seems, a bit more attentive!

Your comments of pricing are most valid and indeed demand by a Westerner immediaetey pushes prices up - this has beecome all to apparent with Iraqi awards. My vistis to Yemen as a lone individual have had the same result and I find that the only real way of dealing with inflated prices is to be preapred to walk away! However the collector usualy find this difficult and we are seen as an economic opportunity for the local traders.

Regards,

Owain