News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

G'da all.

A mate, whose wife who works in a newsagency, has kindly put aside all the local and national newspaper 'flyers' (the type you see outside of a newsagency with the days headline news) regarding the finding of HMAS Sydney II. I would like to keep them looking as new as possible for as long as I can.

What is the best method for storage of modern newspaper?

I would also like to frame a couple some time in the future.

What precautions should I take to avoid yellowing?

What would be the best materials to use when framing to deter ageing?

Regards,

Johnsy

Edited by Tiger-pie

Hi

Newsprint is not produced to last a long time. yellowing will occure within 1 yr or so even if stored in boxes.

Most newswprint being recycled is bleached with a number of chem.

Your best bet is to store originals and see if you can get to negatives, if the agency still prints that way. From the negs you can have a contact PMT. made which will last quite a long time.

You could also laminate the stories but they will still yellow in time.

George

Newspaper printing for 30yrs.

Hi

Newsprint is not produced to last a long time. yellowing will occure within 1 yr or so even if stored in boxes.

Most newswprint being recycled is bleached with a number of chem.

Your best bet is to store originals and see if you can get to negatives, if the agency still prints that way. From the negs you can have a contact PMT. made which will last quite a long time.

You could also laminate the stories but they will still yellow in time.

George

Newspaper printing for 30yrs.

Thanks George.

Just a clarification, they are headline posters (or whatever the correct term is), so the layout is:

Sydney Found!! (as the headline) followed by a picture of the crew or the HMAS Sydney, depending on which newspaper printed it.

With regards to the stories, I have already got digital copies, I just wanted to keep the headlines out of historical interest, as it has caught the nations interest, and mine as I have been following the story for many years.

The Sydeny story stayed in the most view category for since its release, one week at first place. That doesn't happen too often

Regards,

Johnsy