News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LZ-86 Zeppelin

Carol I

I do not want to spoil Kevin's original thread on the walk in Timisoara this spring, so I decided to post this again here.

post-950-1209375297.jpg

IN MEMORY TO THE OFFICERS WHO LIE HERE

Hauptmann Wolff, LtidR Brenner, K?slloch Kramer.

lost on the 4 - IX - 1916

In L.Z. 86, German Air Ship.

(Please feel free to correct my loose German interpretation.)

Apparently the air-ship was returning from a mission and crashed while landing.

I've taken a look on List of Zeppelins in Wikipedia and have found two LZ-86s, none of them downed near Timisoara.

Production number: LZ56

Tactical numbering: LZ86

First flight: October 10, 1915

Remarks: 7 attacks dropping 14,800 kg bombs along the Eastern and South-Eastern front; crashed on September 3, 1916 when the fore and aft nacelle broke away from the ships hull after a raid.

Production number: LZ86

Tactical numbering: L 39

First flight: December 11, 1916

Remarks: two reconnaissance missions around the North Sea; one attack on England dropping 300 kg bombs, and on return destroyed by French flak fire near Compi?gne on March 17, 1917.

Can someone shed some light onto this?

Hallo Carol I, :beer:

from what I understand, the Airship had returned from a bombing mission, and when attempting to land

suffered an accident, I speculate that for some reason she struck the earth, nose down and the occupants of

the engine compartment were killed, there must have been some further damage during the resulting sudden crash

that took out the control area killing the Captain and Officers.

I wonder if any newspaper records from that time (1916) in Timisoara have survived. :unsure:

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Carol I, :beer:

from what I understand, the Airship had returned from a bombing mission, and when attempting to land

suffered an accident, I speculate that for some reason she struck the earth, nose down and the occupants of

the engine compartment were killed, there must have been some further damage during the resulting sudden crash

that took out the control area killing the Captain and Officers.

I wonder if any newspaper records from that time (1916) in Timisoara have survived. :unsure:

Thanks Kevin. Was this written on the monument or you have the details from another source? Anyhow, there are no major contradictions between the different sources available as they all mention that the ship suffered an accident at landing.

I wonder whether the ship bombed Romania or Serbia. There are reports of Zeppelins bombing Bucharest in WWI, but if I remember correctly, they used to come from Bulgaria.

Thanks Kevin. Was this written on the monument or you have the details from another source? Anyhow, there are no major contradictions between the different sources available as they all mention that the ship suffered an accident at landing.

I wonder whether the ship bombed Romania or Serbia. There are reports of Zeppelins bombing Bucharest in WWI, but if I remember correctly, they used to come from Bulgaria.

Hallo Carol I, :cheers:

its not on the monument, but, what I pieced together from a net search, frustratingly there was a page in Romanian about it but Mozilla Firefox dumped my bookmarks and I am trying to locate it again. Worst comes to worst I might post a question with regards this on WW2.ro Forum and see what turns up.

From page 18 at:

http://www.hydroretro.net/etudegh/terreursurlaville.pdf

Le jour suivant, ? Temesvar en Roumanie est

retrouv?e la carcasse calcin?e du LZ86 (LZ 56) et

les cadavres de l??quipage du commandant Linerz.

This might indicate where airships were located in Timisoara :unsure:

http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=en&...ficial%26sa%3DN

Szent-Timisoara Andras (Timisoara Ger) 1915

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva