News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Any idea who this MOH Recipient is?

This photo show PVT Thomas Neibaur on the left and another unknown MOH recipient. I think it it Harold Irving Johnston, but I am not certain. I have a good scan of this photo and when enlarged the MOH is at the neck of the unidentifed soldier. Hard to see, turned on edge, but it is there.

Anyone else have ideas who this might be if not Johnston? The medals are French Medaille Militaire, Montenegro Silver Bravery Medal, Croix de Guerre avec 2 Palmes, Interallied Victory medal.

Edited by Daniel Cole

Got this info from the MOH receipients site

http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/worldwari.html

JOHNSTON, HAROLD I.

Rank and organization: Sergeant (then Private First Class), U.S. Army, Company A, 356th Infantry, 89th Division. Place and date: Near Pouilly, France, 9 November 1918. Entered service at: Chicago, Ill. Birth: Kendell, Kans. C O. No.: 20, W.D., 1919. Citation: When information was desired as to the enemy's position on the opposite side of the Meuse River, Sgt. Johnston, with another soldier, volunteered without hesitation and swam the river to reconnoiter the exact location of the enemy. He succeeded in reaching the opposite bank, despite the evident determination of the enemy to prevent a crossing. Having obtained his information, he again entered the water for his return. This was accomplished after a severe struggle which so exhausted him that he had to be assisted from the water, after which he rendered his report of the exploit.

May help you do a little further research. I couldn't find a picture. Sorry

Good Luck

Ed