News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

today the postman brought me a nice piece:

Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Landwehr-Auszeichnung 2nd class, 1st type (till1913).?Because?I?haven't?seen?it?here,?some?pictures?for?all?of?you?which?are?interested.

Does anyone of you have some information about these bar, especially how many were given?

Regards

westfale

Guest Rick Research

I seem to remember reading here some time ago that these are actually listed by total number (not names) of current living holders in the annual Mecklenburg Schwerin Hof- und-Staatskalendars. Like all the other German states' LDs, these badges were Government Property and were supposed to be returned when the holder died.

According to Ricks info (quick as ever, thanks!) the number of produced LDAs are less than the number of people who got them??Is?this?correct?

Due to the hint of the "staatskalender" I will check to get some info reading one of it (never seen before)...

Guest Rick Research

I can't imagine anyone actually being issued one of these "second hand." The government must simply have collected them from dead veterans' families and... ? scrapped them?

So-- just imagining a figure-- say they handed out 5,000-- but 3,000 were returned and presumably destroyed. Numbers awarded would therefore be far fewer than numbers which SURVIVE.

The only German state whwere we have EXACT information on awards issued and returned was Lippe-Detmold. When those Rolls are published at the end of this year, people will be amazed-- and horrified.