News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first WW I M.G. group photo - Austrian troops?

Hello Everyone,

I have enjoyed the photos of machine gun groups that have been posted on the forum and have been watching for some of my own. Any photos whether postcard or actual photos showing soldiers with equipment usually commands quite a higher price tag than photos of only soldiers in uniform. I picked this one up at an antiques mall that I frequent on Friday. I think they are Austrians and the dealer's price tag suggested that they were. The sign in front of this group is not readable even under very high magnification. It looks like it was intentionally erased after the original photo was taken but before it was made into the postcards. Would this be a security measure? Could the photographer have erased the sign's information to keep the identity of the regiment classified?

There's more to this photo but I'll write about that as I upload the photos.

I hope you like my new addition.

:cheers: Cheers

Brian

I had to zoom in on this guy.

He looks to me like he can hardly wait to give the enemy the whole "Nine Yards". :speechless1:

By the way that's where that saying comes from, in case there are one or two members who haven't heard that one yet. The British machine gun belts were 9 yards long. So, "Give them the whole nine yards" was a deadly command.

Can anyone identify what the badge is that most are wearing on their right chest? I've used a very strong magnifing loop (30X) but I can't make out the detail.

Please keep going the good stuff in on the back of the postcard.

Here's what got me excited (I don't have much of a life).

The back of the postcard has everyone identified!

I can't read it but I think it is really great to have their names. I don't know why the writing in in red as well as black. Could the names be in red and the "occupation" be in black? I see three with "Graha" in black under their names(?).

I think the unit may be identified at the top. Can anyone help with the translation?

Their Commanding Officer is at the bottom but I don't think he is in the photo.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Guest Rick Research

From their uniforms and superabundance of Expert badges, I think this is before the war. Since nobody is wearing any awards otherwise, can't date any closer than that.

Their names are in red (and I think it's faded or been dampened and lifted off the front sign) while where they come from is in black. They're mostly Czech.

The commander, Oberleutnant Alois Grohs, might be a clue to dating this.

From their uniforms and superabundance of Expert badges, I think this is before the war. Since nobody is wearing any awards otherwise, can't date any closer than that.

Their names are in red (and I think it's faded or been dampened and lifted off the front sign) while where they come from is in black. They're mostly Czech.

The commander, Oberleutnant Alois Grohs, might be a clue to dating this.

Many thanks Rick.

Brian

Brian,

They make reproductions of these, but I am not sure how accessible they are. Real examples are very scarce and ridiculously expensive. I have the small cap and collar insignia for MG troops, but the proficiency badge is a tough one.

Chip

Guest Rick Research

Apparently the fire breathing triple headed dragon (a nifty imagery for this branch) collar badges must have been created wartime, from the pre-war proficiency badges. Hungarian Honved units had the St. Stephan's crown:

Once again, it looks like we have a similar interest. The proficiency badges were around years ago. I should have tried to complete the set, but even then there were certain examples (MG, truck driver and some others) that you just never saw. I ended up with two. Now, if you can find a good one, they are too expensive. Italians with lots of Euros are buying them and anything else from the Austro-Hungarian army.