News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My new Thailand Medal has arrived

Hello Everyone,

This medal is the Chakra Mala Medal established in the reign of King Chulalongkorn Rama V the Great, around 2415BE (1872AD) to give to soldiers or police officers who served the country for more than 15 years.

Obverse: The Royal Chula Mongkut (Minor Crown) with regalia (emblem of H.M. King Chulalongkorn Rama V)

Reverse: The decorated White Elephant (symbol of Siam) facing left with the Thai alphabet, "S.P.P.M.C.5" abbreviation of "Somdej Pra Poramindra Maha Chulalongkorn the V".

Ribbon: Red with blue, yellow, greenstripes 30mm. width.

The decree requires that this medal can be recalled, and in case of return, a fine of 932 Baht must be submitted.

Size: dia. 38 mm.

Weight: 25 grams

Reference: Royal Thai Order and Decoration, The Secretariat Office of the Office of the Prime Minister, Thailand.

I have found other references that state the Obverse is the elehpant and the reverse is the Royal Regalia. While I like the look of the elephant the Royal regalia is most likely the logical obverse. Another source states this was awarded for 25 years devotional service in the civil service. Perhaps the criteria has changed somewhat over the years but the Office of the Prime Minister's criteria holds a lot of weight in my mind. Also this particular medal is said to have probably been awared in the 1970s which I tend to think is accurate.

Any thoughts or comments are, as always, welcomed.

I accidently posted the reverse of the medal first, sorry, I hope it does not confuse the issue.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian