News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

"Wolfskeel." In full, Freiherr Wolfskeel von Reichenberg.

There were a lot of them-- maybe which one he is can be figured out from the rest of the document.

Rick, thank You very much. You are a true fountain of knowledge.

I tried various kinds of Wolfs... at google, but never would have seen Wolfskeel in that signature.

Perfect !

Here is the rest of the document.

It is a letter for a hunting fellow "Jagdaufseher" ( don't know a word in english ) to tell him about his admission to the royal bavarian hunting organisation.

The letter was written by the " K?niglich-Bayerischer Oberststallmeister Stab " where Freiherr von Wolfskeel probably was the chief of.

Quite a nice document, not my collecting field, but I couldn't leave it at the fleamarket table last sunday and it only was a few cents. ( How I love my turkish sellers who are not able to read a word in german and don't care about old letters anway )

Kind regards

Robert

Guest Rick Research

Ah! Jagdaufseher = Gamekeeper. His salary of 50 Marks a month "along with your housing" would have been quite a nice living, with all the perks of being a royal huntsman (like lots of medals for happy hunting). It would be interesting to follow Revier Hirschau Jagdaufseher Eduard D?rrheimer's civil court career in a Bavarian Hof- und- Staaats Handbuch.

Signed by Generalleutnant ? la Suite Karl Freiherr (from 1901 Graf) Wolfskeel von Reichenberg, the K.B. Oberstallmeister. :cheers:

Well, where should a royal bavarian huntsman have been in the military ??

Right. Bavarian J?ger Battallion - Alpenkorps.

Along with the letter were a few postcards, nothing military but some nice Feldpost stamps:

Found a bit more about Freiherr von Wolfskeel.

He was a friend of the bavarian Prinzregent Luitpold, who called him to court. Luitpold was the godfather of his second son, Graf Luitpold von Wolfskeel, who helped to built up the bavarian airforce in 1912.

Interesting is, that Wolfskeel is somtimes written with double "ff" and sometimes not.

The Wolffskeels still live on a castle near W?rzburg.

Kind regards

Robert