News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Desperately Seeking Saxon Regimental History!

Guest Rick Research

What information? In case there are ways--like officer data--which can be gotten around without it. :rolleyes:

What information? In case there are ways--like officer data--which can be gotten around without it. :rolleyes:

Hello Rick:

Thank you for your reply. I need citation information for an NCO from WWI who did something rather brave (I know his awards, but not what he did). I have found a 1908 regimental history, but can't find one covering the WWI period.

I think that such a history has not been published as I have been looking extensively with no luck. This posting was a last resort.

Thank you for your offer of assistance!

"SPM"

Guest Rick Research

The GOLD St Henry Medal recipients are all written up, with photos and accounts of their deed and lives to the late 1930s.

I've got award rolls (name, unit, date) for the St Henry Medals in Gold and Silver, the Cross of the Albert Order X, and Cross of the General Decoration X. Xerox of the Gold St Henry Medal book above.

That's about it for NCOs, without a regimental history.

But then that stands or falls on how GOOD a regimental history was. I had one for one of the Saxon J?ger Battalions on loan a couple of years back and the freakin' thing mentioned every single time a mass (unspecified) bestowal of EK2s occurred, but not ONE peep about ANY Saxon award, period! :speechless::banger: :speechless1:

Hello again Rick:

You nailed it. The fellow is a Gold Military St. Henry Medal recipient. I know his awards, dates, etc. I have the book of recipients. His citation is not in there however!

So, IF a regimental history exists, and IF it contains information about his battle action, then I can figure out what insanely brave actions he took on that fateful day.

In any case, if I can't find this information, I have a good deal of other information and all will soon be revealed.

Thanks!

"SPM"

Guest Rick Research

I wonder--as do the rest of the gnomes--what has survived in the Saxon Military Archives--and where. The late Erhard Roth, unfortunately, left us without passing on WHERE he got data which continues to elude us.

I would expect the actual citations are--or were--held somewhere.

All things considered, the 200Xs are the best decade for Imperial research since the 1930s, so IF such things are out there, somebody will track it down eventually.