News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I was wondering if anybody had any information on a couple of Shoulder Insignia that a friend of mine has. He has a pair of Shoulder Insignia that are:-

GMGR all in one?

and another pair

MMG all in one

I presume that these refer to Machine Gun Units. Am I right? If so, what units do they refer to. I haven't come across these before so I'm thinking are they a special unit and are they rare?

Thanks, Mike

Edited by Mike Huxley

Thanks Tony, It's just that I haven't seen any of these Shoulders bars before. The "Motorised Machine Gun" makes sense to me and i suppose the other could be the "Guards Machine Gun Regiment" but when was ther a Regiment of Machine Gunners?

Has anybody else seen these Shoulder bars before?

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

Guards Machine Gun Regiment - GMGR

"Formed in February 1918 having begun life in 1916 as the Guards Machine Gun Battalion or Machine Gun Guards. Regiment disbanded in 1920.

The above courtesy of "Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles" by RA Westlake

Stuart

Mike,

Guards Machine Gun Regiment - GMGR

"Formed in February 1918 having begun life in 1916 as the Guards Machine Gun Battalion or Machine Gun Guards. Regiment disbanded in 1920.

The above courtesy of "Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles" by RA Westlake

Stuart

Many thanks for your reply Stuart. In fact the GMGR had quite a short service history then? I'll have to keep a lookout for the book that you mention as it sounds interesting.

Cheers, Mike