News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Storing and dispaying maps

Hello Everyone,

I have purchased two maps of India, one from 1946 (pre-Independence) and one from 1997 of Independent India for comparison. I would like to know how other collectors store their maps as they are now folded and in time will suffer damage from the creasing. I am short on wall space so would the members suggest map tubes as a way of storage?

Thanks for your opinions.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Hello Everyone,

I have purchased two maps of India, one from 1946 (pre-Independence) and one from 1997 of Independent India for comparison. I would like to know how other collectors store their maps as they are now folded and in time will suffer damage from the creasing. I am short on wall space so would the members suggest map tubes as a way of storage?

Thanks for your opinions.

Brian

Hello Brian,

I have about 800 maps. They are almost all folded. I bought a file cabinet, with hanging folders and store them there. I understand that would not be a good solution for just a map or two. You could go to a hobby store and they usually sell the large flat containers for sketches--in various forms from leather cases to cardboard variations--those work very well with maps that you want to leave unfolded.

Paul

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I never thought about those large flat containers, I'll check them out.

I was wondering if the store where I buy my "top loaders" (for my photo postcards) might have something like them in poster size but have not had the chance to stop in.

I have a map from 1919 showing Europe as it was after WWI and on the back is a day by day account of the war. I had it professionally framed with glass on both sides. It is very heavy and cost too much to start making a habit of that.

Thanks again.

I'll post my findings.

Brian