News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Postcard from a Canadian Soldier Dec. 16/18

Hello Everyone,

A great deal has been written about the events leading to the Great War, even more on the battles and those who fought them. There are volumes on the events caused by the Treaty of Versailles that led to the Second World War. However, there seems to be little written about the immediate aftermath of WWI. What about the occupation of Germany following the war? Perhaps because there was no Cold War, Iron Curtain or Berlin War as followed WW II to generate numerous spy novels and movies that the occupation following WWI became just a footnote in history. Perhaps it was because this was the war to end all wars that anything after the fact was hardly worth noting.

The photo postcard I just purchased shows a German Regiment in Paradeaufstellung (on line traslator has this as meaning "Parade List") at Wahn Rhld. which I believe is in Westphalia. The Pickelhauben can just be made out under high magnification. On the back of the postcard is printed "143711 Verlag von [Publishing House of] Fritz Schneider, Wahn, Rhld. 1910". I guess this must not have been a good seller as it was not purchased until 8 years after it was taken and then by a Canadian soldier. The card was sent to a young lady (Miss.) living near Terra Cotta Ontario, Canada. This is North West of the City of Toronto, Ontario. The soldier named, "Archie" writes, "This was a German Regiment on parade. We now occupy their parade grounds." the card was posted from Wahn.

It's not a document of great historical importance but it is the only piece of memorabilia in my collection from what I believe is the occupation of German.

Strange that the title on the face of the postcard is partially in English, though it was taken during the post war era (1910) when there may have been tourists from the U.K. in Germany. Do any of the members have any thoughts about this?

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Guest Rick Research

I believe the multilingual printings were because of international postal agreements of the day.

I have a panoramic (about 3 feet long) photo of the American 16th Field Artillery Regiment regiment, 4th Infantry Division in full parade behind banners, taken at Heimersheim on June 20,1919. Quite neat as there is a model T Ford driving into view in the background, German Hausfraus hanging out their laundry in adjacent back yards, little kids watching, and so on all around the gigantic field.

I think Wahn may have had a POW camp during the First War. I dimly recall seeing an armband from there with the 3 balls Europeans use/used to distinguish blind people, Imperial stamped to a POW camp.