News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Aha!!!!

:jumping: Got a NAME?

General Staff or OKH Oberstleutnant (bumpy collar tabs).

He's an AUSTRIAN--

just LOOK at the horizontal "strings" up high on his left shoulder for fastening on TRIFOLD RIBBONS. :jumping: NEVER SEEN SUCH EVIDENCE OF A SENIOR CAREER OFFICER WEARING THAT OUTDATED STYLE DURING THE WAR! :jumping:

Ribbons =

solo on top is the generic red, blue-edged "war ribbon" for Rumanian Orders

Sew on row =

EK2 1939, two Wehrmacht long service awards, October 1938 Sudeten Annexation Medal, and Bulgarian Military Merit Order (presumably of the gilt Officer grade) on statute white with yellow and black edges ribbon.

If this is named and dated, a FANTASTIC prize discovery! :cheers:

Thanks Rick,

sorry neither name nor date on the photo - the portrait is on Agfa paper and postcard size.

Rick if you want to use it for the ribbon bar article, please go ahead.

Thanks again, Hardy

Guest Rick Research

:cheers: I know there are 2 (3?) biographical/career volumes out on WW2 General Staff officers, which I have never gotten around to with the Euro/dollar exchange. I don't know if those MIGHT help identify this guy.

Don't know if they even list awards--probably not :( BUT he was clearly an ex-Austrian Bundesheer officer and that may produce a "Short List" of suspects, especially process of elimination of Majors with Knight's Crosses etc.

This stuns me because of those empty loops.

What would we think of a single trifold mounted Wehrmacht 12 years service medal?

Probably Pfffffft. :speechless1:

:Cat-Scratch: This is the first documentary evidence I've ever seen in 40 years that the style was worn ON UNIFORM by active duty career officers.

Who else do you know who can get so :jumping: over

empty loops? :catjava:

:cheeky: