News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Major iG Messerer

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

At my local monthly military show this morning I came across a :love: doeskin officer's overcoat named to Oberf?hnrich Messerer 14.2.36, with a M?nchen tailor's label...

and subdued field General Staff Major's boards.

Messserer was commissioned Leutnant 1.4.36 #431 in Pionier Bataillon 47.

In January 1939 he was the ONLY subordinate officer (so Adjutant, Orderly Officer all rolled into one) on the staff of the Commander of Pioneers for Wehrkreis VII (Munich)...

and the May 1944 Seniority List CONFIRMS that he was indeed the one and only

Major iG 1.8.43 #24i.

I know there is a 2 (?) volume set of biographies of German army WW2 General Staff officers.

Could somebody who has those please let me know ...

the rest of his story?

I could not tell you when last I saw a verified General Staff officer's uniform. :speechless1::rolleyes:

:beer:

Hello Rick.

Major i.G.Klaus Messerer, DoB 07.Dec.1915 .

Before Mobil.1939 bei Kdr.d.Pi.VII ( as you are aware of);

26.08.1939 Pi.Rgt.617 (Adj.);

10.02.1940 Pi.Btl.269;

01.12.1942 F.R. OKH, kdt.Stb.18.Pz.Gren.Div. ( for those perhaps not familiar with abbreviations etc: Officers Pool Army High Command detached to staff of 18.Pz.Gren.Div.);

15.06.1943 a.d.Kriegsakademie versetzt. (transferred to the War Academy for training as General Staff Officer);

01.10.1943 z.Gen.St. kdt ( detached to the Army General Staff);

25.11.1943 Stab 337.Inf.Div.(Ib) (staff of 337.Inf.Division as Ib or second generalstabs officer );

01.04.1944 i.d.Gen.St. versetzt ,(transferred to the Army General Staff);

10.05.1944 Gen.St. L.V. A.K. (Qu.) General Staff L.V. Army Corps, Quartiermeister);

20.11.1944 F.R. OKH, , D r.Chef P3 ( officers pool Army High Command, duties directed by Personnel Directorate 3);

01.02.1945 - 20.03.1845 OKW./WFST kdt (Qu.) , ( Armed Forces High Command/Operations Staff, Quartiermeister);

01.94.1945 GenSt. 10.Armee (Qu.1) , (generalstaff 10.Army, Quartiermeister 1).

Promoted to Major 01.08.1943 (24i).

Decorations: E.K.I

Bernhard H.Holst

Guest Rick Research

:jumping: :jumping::jumping::jumping::cheers:

I am STUNNED at such a meteoric rise in ARMY ranks. Luftwaffe flyers, yeah, but a 28 year old general Staff Major? :speechless1:

THANKS Bernhard!!!!

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::cheers:

I am STUNNED at such a meteoric rise in ARMY ranks. Luftwaffe flyers, yeah, but a 28 year old general Staff Major? :speechless1:

THANKS Bernhard!!!!

Hi Rick.

I believe they had a talent to pick qualified personnel and not necessarily tainted by political considerations. Plus of course a pressing need to fill the gaps left by the huge losses on the Eastern front and the practical complete loss of the formations in Africa. A detailed scrutiny of the 1944/45 Rangliste gives a good indication of how matters were handled as does the "Taetigkeitsbericht" of the Army Personnel Department (published by Biblio )which from time to time gives detailed and comprehensive statistics on officers losses and related subjects. Motto something like "Weg frei dem Tuechtigen!" ( for those not comfortable with that language: Clear the way for the capable ones ).

i am waiting for the third volume lising those Gen.Staff Officers KIA, MIA, transferred or otherwise left General Staff career track but will probably not see publication not being a believer in reincarnation.

Bernhard H.Holst

Guest Rick Research

Me neither, which is why I stopped with the Admirals and Luftwaffe Generals biographies. I don't have a century left waiting for the Army generals to be issued 1 volume every 3 years. :sleep:

So Messerer survived the war?

Me neither, which is why I stopped with the Admirals and Luftwaffe Generals biographies. I don't have a century left waiting for the Army generals to be issued 1 volume every 3 years. :sleep:

So Messerer survived the war?

Hi Rick.

The ref. book consulted by me is based on records kept during wartime. Therefore Maj.i.G. K. Messerer could still have been a late war/after the capitulation casualty even in a Gen.Staff slot. ( see Obstlt.i.G. Rudolf Haen, Ia 14.Armee, Oakleaves. Shot dead while a U.S. PoW on 09.May 1945 for still unknown reason(s).)

I will check Maj.Messerer in Volksbund.

BTW: I believe Engineer- and Arty Officers were and are more brain endowed and perhaps preferred as prospective Gen.Staff Officer material.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 2 months later...

No info on Messerer's potential demise from either the Volksbund and the NARA Casualty Index. I had scanned several pages of his Dienstlaufbahn but they are a bit illegible, so please content yourselves with a poor image of the man. :speechless1:

I'll try the docs again later.

Edited by Mike Constandy

I don't know the date of the image, but it is affixed to a document signed by him on 1 Feb 1940. Determined looking, isn't he!

His 201 file is just 50 pages. Are you interested in something in particular? If you wish to order a DVD from NARA, his file can be found in RG 242 A-3356 Roll 551, under German Army Officers. The last bit is redundant, but when dealing with NARA functionaries, the more info the better.

Cheers

Guest Rick Research

I haven't been back to that show since September, so I don't know where his overcoat is now. If I get to the December show, will find out so the owner can follow through. :cheers: