News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wehrpass for GFP /Gestapo official

Interesting letter to Dreschler from the French War Crimes Investigation team, attempting to etsbalish that he is NOT the SS-Obersturmf?hrer of the same name who served with "Das Reich". Presumably part of the investigation into the Oradour Massacre and seeking to eliminate him from their enquiries.

No, the doc is dated 1946. Rather small scan so its not easy to read.

It seems he was arrested by the Americans in June 1945, held at the Internment Camp at Moosburg, and subsequently released on 8 June 1946. He then returned to his home town of Hamburg which of course was in the British zone and the British then supplied him with their own version of the release certificate, also dated 8 June 1946.

There is also a document signed by the Camp Supply Officer in the Internment Camp stating that Dreschler was vopluntarily working for the Americans from October 45 to June 46.

Who know what work he was doing for them but I suspect he was a farily low level Gestapo official, small fry really, and doing odd jobs around the camp to earn "brownie points" and extra rations.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: One wonders if he WAS the said "person of interest" (a loathesomely parroted phrase these days, first used by the NKVD)....

Don't think so Rick. His "Army" rank in the Wehrpass is just shown as Gefreiter ( of course this may well have been a spurious "nominal" military rank during his attachment to the GFP and may not have reflected his SD Rank but I believe those transferred to the GFP were supposed to have been given a military rank equivalent to their Polizei/Sicherheitspolizei status.) so I believe he really was just a "minnow" in terms of his SD rank.

One interesting thing is that a previous letter from the French asked him to send a photo and in this letter they are saying he didn't send it. Obviously from their point of view, a photo to ID him would be in his interest to "rule him out" of their investigation if innocent. Maybe he had his own reasons for not wanting to be recognised !