News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

While cataloging my miscellaneous docs I came across this. Don't even know if it's military related, as the stamp is from Schl?chtern, maybe corporate? Might just be a mouse catching receipt :rolleyes: I can make out 3 June 1864 and maybe 80 Gulden, but that's about it. Any help would be more than welcome.

If it doesn't belong here feel free to move it or scrap it.

Guest Rick Research

Eekies! :speechless1: If that was any more slanted, it would be FLAT!

Anyway, first pass down to the stamp =

"18 written eighteen Gulden of entry money ("Einzugsgeld" =??) are for the bride of Andreas M?ller from the ......book of (Modlas?) in Bavaria for this community's cashbox ("Gemeindenkasse") paid, which is certified.

Uttrichshausen, 3rd June 1864

The Mayor

(Gayl?/ Jost?)"

The P.S. bit below that is even worse, something about a receipt ("Quittung") by mail... and he's signed his title and name again.

I've got a folder full of the complicated paperwork by which an 1880s German civil servant of Major equivalence had to receive--literally--his retired civil servant Sergeant-Major equivalent father's PERMISSION to re-marry, with all the accompanying police reports and village attestations of character from mayors and constables and church wardens. :rolleyes:

From the variant translations in my disintegrating 1897 German-English dictionary it could be a tax/fee for moving into a new house. Anyhow, sounds like it belongs in the lounge. Moving tax waived :cheeky: