News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting type of 300th Anniversary Of The Romanov Dynasty

Noor

Hi,

Just like to share one interesting 300th Anniversary Of The Romanov Dynasty medal what I just got. There is lots of different types of those, probably most common imperial Russia medal around, but I haven't seen anything like this. Please share your different ones guys :cheers:

07983961e7de7f_l.jpg

and here is one of the most common type for compare..

07983953cd6210_l.jpg

I have never seen this either but right now I am thinking of two things. Number one is that it could be a cast copy and number two is that it could be a die varient.

Cast copies lack certain details but this one still has a lot of details showing. I am also curious about the rim on the obverse. If you look at the shoulder board of Nicholas II, it is truncated in your new medal but in the other picture, it appears more full. The moustaches of both Nicholas and the first Romanov tsar are different in the two medals as well as the hairline of Nicholas II. These are just a couple of examples but maybe it is enough to say that there are too many differences to justify saying that these two medals are simply struck with different dies. I am not sure but it is just a thought.

The size and thickness of the planchet at the edge and center comes to mind too. I wonder what the differences are if any?

The attacment ring on the new medal looks as if it has been brazen on rather than a part of the complete planchet.

These are just thoughts and perhaps others might have some comments on this. The new medal is a curious variation again that I have never seen from the variations that I have seen. I hope that there are some more comments on this piece.

• 4 weeks later...