News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Differences between Pre and Post Chinese Civil War Nationalist Medals

hc8604

This is going to be my first post here, so hi to all.

I have some Chinese/Taiwanese medals that I do now know what time period they come from.

The first medal is the Medal for Victorious Garrison B, First Class and it is made out of silver, Serial No. 5916.

The second medal is the Medal of Brilliant Light A, First Class, made out of silver, Serial No. 771.

I am thinking that the Brilliang Light may have come from WW2... but I am not sure what WW2 medals and post war look like...

Thanks

These look almost exactly like the examples I bought new in Taipei 4 - 5 years ago. Unless someone can trace the serial numbers, We probably won't know for sure. Does anyone out there know when these were established?

Hugh

I am still going to assume these were awarded on Taiwan. I know a guy who told me records are hard to find. But I was hoping I can get an answer with the design of the ribbon type.

The ribbon for the other is a mustard / gold yellow with a center red stripe.

Hugh

I may probably find a new medal and replace the ribbon for the Garrison medal.

I was just wondering how the ribbons were made. WW2 US medals are different from today by the style of the construction of the ribbon part.. well from what I have seen.

Edited by hc8604

• 8 months later...

From observations of recent medals, I believe these are post 1949 medals. The one I have posted a picture above has a US type WWII design. Older ones should be identical to how the Japanese medals are made. Also, I think the 國 character is not placed before the serial number on the older ones.

Anyways, these are just observations and not actual facts...