News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Slovak Bravery Medal and (German) ribbon bar

I'm not a frequent visitor on this part of the forum, but ventured here because of the following Slovak medal for bravery. There is a small ribbon bar as well, and my question concerns the little device on both ribbon bar and ribbon of the medal. I just found some further reading in the book "Foreign Legions of the Reich (part 3) ", but nobody talks about the enamel device. What's the purpose of that device?

Otherwise, I can only guess if the award and ribbon bar were handed out to someone with German or Slovak nationality. I guess Slovaks were also able to receive the EK2 and KVK2.

Thanks in advance,

Laurens

The Medal for Bravery was instituted in one class (gold) on 8 May 1939, with the silver & bronze classes being added on 11 September of the same year. It was awarded between these dates and 1945 by the German-controlled government of the Slovak Republic.

The ''?" represents 'Slovakia' rather than a maker's mark.

The enamel device on the ribbon appears to have been an integral part of the insignia as a whole rather than having any special significance.

• 3 weeks later...

It is slovak bravery medal III. class (bronze)

"?" is for academic sculptor ?tefunko Fraňo, who is the author of this medal...

The enamel device on the ribbon is a integral part of the bravery medal...

Rick Research: the ribbon on photo U have posted is not bravery medal for slovaks, but it is ribbon of War winning cross V.-VII. class...

I think it belonged to a german soldiers, who have been awarded slovak medals after puting down slovak natonal uprising... slovak soldier wouldn have his national medals on first place, then german...

• 4 years later...