News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romania Communist Period 23rd August Medal,

Hallo Gents, :cheers:

I picked this one up in the Collectors Fair in Targu Mures on Saturday 25th October 2008.

It seems as time went by the quality and design was changing dramatically, up to this period,

the 23rd August was presented as a regular Medal with cloth ribbon, here it transcends into the pin-back broach,

strange when they went to the bother of producing a mini cloth ribbon bar :speechless:

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

As far as I know, that was the suspension device for several medals in the period. And the same was valid for the simple tricolour ribbon bar. The reason was one of the obsessions of the 1980s Romania: save production costs by every mean. :speechless:

By the way, the saying goes that this medal was awarded on a much limited scale than planned once it was discovered that the period it marked was written on the reverse as "XXXX" instead of the correct "XL". :rolleyes:

The full name of this medal was: Medalia comemorativă ?A 40-a aniversare a revoluţiei de eliberare socială şi naţională, antifascistă şi antiimperialistă? (The Commemorative Medal "The 40th anniversary of the social and national, antifascist and anti-imperialist liberation revolution"). (see Romanian Medals)

The full name of this medal was: Medalia comemorativă ?A 40-a aniversare a revoluţiei de eliberare socială şi naţională, antifascistă şi antiimperialistă? (The Commemorative Medal "The 40th anniversary of the social and national, antifascist and anti-imperialist liberation revolution"). (see Romanian Medals)

As always thanks for the relevant info, :jumping:

with a name like that I presume a big box

would have been required to get it all on the lid :P

Kevin in Deva. :beer: