News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on MM grouping 155th Siege By.

Hello,

This is one on my few British groupings. The Military Medal is gazetted pg.10566 supplement 20 August, 1919.

'322813 Gnr. Hall, R.J., 155th Siege By.(Waterbeck)'. Since the war is over I assume that this is just slow paperwork. So the question is what was the delay time between the action and the awarding of the Military Medal?

~Ed

Hello,

This is one on my few British groupings. The Military Medal is gazetted pg.10566 supplement 20 August, 1919.

'322813 Gnr. Hall, R.J., 155th Siege By.(Waterbeck)'. Since the war is over I assume that this is just slow paperwork. So the question is what was the delay time between the action and the awarding of the Military Medal?

~Ed

My suspicion is that he is one of the many awards for the Great Push following the end of the German offensive of 1918, effectively August to November 1918. Note that there are a large proportion to R.A. and siege batteries. Who were obviously crucial to the push, given that including bars over 120,000 M.M.s were awarded , many for 1918 actions. The logistics of approval and gazetting encountered a back log.

Paul

From the one gazette page I have there seems to be no repeat of units. All are from the R.A. or the RGA and there are 80 names total. Possibly each battery allowed one MM?

~ED

Quite probably right but it is M.M.'s (and bars) from page 1 to the end of the supplement (a hell of a lot of them).

All the best,

Paul