News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Damaged LOM received

Sivart

I recieved this named LOM the other day in the mail. The suspension ring had been stretched out and was entirely removed from the ribbon. The medal itself and case are in great shape for a 50's era item. Would you simply attach the medal back to the ribbon and press the ring back into place or return the whole thing? How fragile are these rings, I have little experience with these medals? Pictured is the medal as advertised and then as arrived. Any advice????

Sivart :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Agh-- you SCARED me-- I thought you meant the suspension struck in one piece with the star itself!

That little wire ring is no problem... easily bent back together. If you are careful with pliers it won't even show scratchs.

PS Bend that wire ring to shape all by itself FIRST and THEN with a little opening "front to back" not "side to side" SLIP it onto the suspension of the star and wiggle it through the ribbon while you still have a gap and THEN simply flatten the wire ring so it doesn't slip out.

Don't go trying to squish the wire ring into shape with it looped THROUGH the star suspension! :shame:

:Cat-Scratch: Agh-- you SCARED me-- I thought you meant the suspension struck in one piece with the star itself!

That little wire ring is no problem... easily bent back together. If you are careful with pliers it won't even show scratchs.

PS Bend that wire ring to shape all by itself FIRST and THEN with a little opening "front to back" not "side to side" SLIP it onto the suspension of the star and wiggle it through the ribbon while you still have a gap and THEN simply flatten the wire ring so it doesn't slip out.

Don't go trying to squish the wire ring into shape with it looped THROUGH the star suspension! :shame:

Thanks Rick. As I am away from home for the next few (forever!) months, I will do that when I get back rather than trust the wife with it! What era LOM's were struck in one piece as opposed to the one shown? I really like these awards, they are one of the few US items that look great with the enamel and affordable for me.

Guest Rick Research

I just meant the suspension fastened to the top arm of the star, not the little loose ring. If the star arm loop was squished :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: I would dare try bending one either. If THAT snaps ....

Was the recipient a West Point graduate?

Reuben Morgan graduated in '42 from NC State and served as a LT in the Signal Corps. Later in his career, he became a quartermaster and eventually made it to LTC. He died in 1991. I am putting together the FOIA stuff now in hopes to reveal more of his history. I was surprised to get this medal for as little as I did, I guess I just thought that officer grade awards that are named would demand a higher price than the $50 I paid. But, I am new to this so maybe I am wrong, please let me know if I am. Here is a closeup of the engraved name.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever try fixing this medal?

Darrell,

No, I haven't attempted to fix it because I have a number of months before I will get my hands on it. Although I have been able to coerce my wife into taking pictures of the items I have recieved while gone, I don't want her messing with them too much! The only benefit of being gone for so long is that I don't have to face the boss when my newest shiny toys arrive there at home!

Guest Darrell

.... The only benefit of being gone for so long is that I don't have to face the boss when my newest shiny toys arrive there at home!

Know what you mean. Sometimes I try and head off the Postman before it ends up in the mailbox :rolleyes: