News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Ribbon Bar ID Help, Please

I am researching a KM frock coat in my collection. It is named to a Korvettenkapit?n, who I believe is Gustav Oels. The coat came with a mostly Imperial ribbon bar which appears to be original, but I have no expertise whatsoever on these bars. Could anyone help me identify the awards? Thanks!

Here is what I have found on Oels:

Korv.Kpt. Gustav Oels, gef. 01.02.43

Oels,Gustav

geb. 14.05.1895 in Jaderberg/Oldenburg; K.Kapt. 01.02.41; M.A.A.119 kdr, 03.40 - 12.41; M.A.A.520 Kdr. 10.41 - 02.43. Bei Flugzeugsbsturz t?dl. verungl?ckt 01.02.43

Here is the ribbon bar obverse

The ribbon bar consists of the 1914 Iron Cross 2nd class, Hohenzollern House Order 3rd class with swords, Brunswich War Service cross, Hindenburg w/swords and I think something from Spain. Gustav Oels did NOT have Hohenzollern House Order 3rd class with swords, Brunswich War Service cross. He did have the Iron Cross 2nd class and the Hindenburg w/swords. It shoudl not be to have to find a ribbno bar with the EK2, Hindenburg w/swords and a long service ribbon.

Guest Rick Research

The ribbon bar is an Ohio Parts Fraud from the 1990s.

The coat label is to a Kapit?nleutnant (V) which is the former pay corps (Zahlmeisters). You've got the wrong Oels-- a (MA) officer. Paymaster Oels isn't listed in Lohmann Hildebrand. :(

I don't know what his first name was, but he was born 13 January 1897 and entered the navy 1914.

Marine Zahlmeister 01.12.23 (Navy Rank List 1924)

Marine-Oberzahlmeister 01.04.28

Kapit?nleutnant (V) 01.04.35 # 15

Korvettenkapit?n (V) before 1 January 1939 (Birthday Book of the Kriegsmarine)

His awards were--

EK2 1914, Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 2nd Class, Hindenburg Cross X, Prussian/Reichs IX Years Service medal-- replacedin 1936 by 18, (12), and 4 and upgraded in 1939 to Wehrmacht 25 (and that 12). He also had the Turkish War Medal star earned as a crewmember of the SMS Goeben January 1916 to April 1917.

1924 Paymaster of 1st Torpedoboat Half Flotilla

1926 Paymaster of IInd Schiffsstammabteilung der Nordsee

1931 Paymaster at Naval School Friedrischort (Rank Lists)

He is not in the 1944 Kriegsmarine Rangliste nor was he a member of the MOV.

His wife (by 1939) was named Irmgard, birthday 10 July.

I hope the Verwaltungs branch insignia

is above the rank stripes. If not, the coat has been "improved." :angry:

Guest Rick Research

CLASSIC Hand Snipped Brass Ohio Parts Fraud bar. :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: Incorrect colored "Hohenzollern" device (silver, not gold). Fantasy device on the Italian Order of the Crown ribbon.

"I hope the Verwaltungs branch insignia is above the rank stripes. If not, the coat has been "improved."

Rick,

You are truly amazing! Of course you are right - the Verwaltungs branch insignia is indeed above the rings, and in beautiful tarnished bullion. The coat feels right (i.e. "unimproved"). It also has a right side loop for the Turkish star.

Thank you very much for IDing this officer.

I will be taking mannequin shots of the frock coat and posting on the KM uniforms forum soon. Until I get the time to take decent photos, here is a scan of my coat's sleeve insignia.

All The Best,

Erik

Guest Rick Research

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! Perfect bullion KK (V).

My paymaster Konteradmiral (V) August B?ning--much sprinkled about these sub-forums-- would have known and worked with your Oels in 1916. :catjava:

SOME people might think paymasters were "boring" but as a member of what the German military called the "Turkish Mafia," these guys were the elite "insiders" of the interwar years.

As a VERY small corps, their insignia are horribly difficult to find in the higher ranks.