News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Willi Faerstenburg -coastal artillery munitions handler

if so, its most interesting! so called elefantenorden and your man spend some time in WW 1 in africa. mayby a navy guy from the start but settle down as a marineartillerist when he become older.

Actually, he was a gun commander and munitions handler for a Naval coastal artillery battery stationed at Tsingtau, China at the start of WWI. He was captured along with the rest of the garrison and sent to the Japanese POW camp in Fukuyama.

Repatriated in 1919/20 and shown here in the service of the Third Reich. What unit or in what capacity is what I am trying to find out.

Is there anyone with access to records that can find out what he did in WWII?

thank you in advance...

Guest Rick Research

Simple answer is "no."

He would have been demobilized in 1920 as a Leutnant der Marine a.D. He's a war's duration recalled type in WW2, one rank up. Not a career OFFICER so no paper trail to follow. His "Wehrmacht" long service ribbons are regulation REPLACEMENTS for his old Imperial one (XXV or XV).

There might well be full records on his WW2 assignments in the German Naval Archives but they will not tell anybody anything about anything. Their highly trained professional staff spends 40 years at coffee breaks, retires with a Bundesverdienstkreuz and a pension... and nobody but them goes in or out of the building or looks in those rotting file cabinets. It must be very restful.

Thanks Rick.

I didn't know if TR might have reliable sources for research purposes. I thought Furstenburg might have been promoted to an officer and therefore be more traceable.

I have heard of the infamous german archives and especially bundesarchiv. I have a friend who can remember when they were more accommodating, but that valve shut down about 20-25 years ago. The excuse they used at first was that it's an issue of "privacy". Are they worried about armature nazi-hunters pounding on the family's doors??? (I suppose their are nuts out there :speechless: )

I can't imagine what the staff does every day to up the appearance of looking busy? ...restful indeed.