News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A question of intent

Ulsterman

hee-hee-

As a lawyer, I'm all over questions of intent and enactment of statutes/regulations. U.S. military regulations however, well, my time with the U.S. military stretches directly and indirectly from 1960 to today and as you know, nothing is sometimes more dangerous to military efficiency than regulations. Let me tell you about the (brief) time back in 1971 when all AAFES/ Europe boxed mail was sent via the Spanish postal system! or how I once went TDY and ended up in Iceland for a fun-filled two weeks instead of landing at McGuire AFB (because transfer flight orders were required for each flight taken-so if one gets off to buy a souvenir at Reykjavik during refueling, suddenly you need "new" travel orders!

Also, as someone whose personal home number was once accidentally listed as the NORAD/Europe liaison/question number.....for three years (!)..... :cheers: despite reams of mimeographs being filled out and submitted....

:rolleyes:

I note that Bender's book also includes an interpretation of a 12 month service requirement. Personally, had I been a units' clerk/officer, I'd have read it your way Doc and Col. McC., but it's an interesting question and I'd like to see service records either way. Like I said, I know a bunch of guys who have this medal, but they were all in in 1940.

The navy requirement for the ribbon was ONLY 10 days service, which further argues that the army must've clarified further at some point. In 1941 there were what, an additional @130,000 troops called up before Pearl?

Edited by Ulsterman

Yeah, agree that some service records would help eliminate the discussion. But, I don't have any available, nor time to dig into them to prove what is, after all, a very minor issue to me. Nice discussion, though. Doc

Guest Rick Research

Which other thread? Probably easier to copy and paste what you had above to where it should be.

I can split but merging is :speechless1: