News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedish, Life Saving medal

Dear All,

Please, can anyone post a clear photo of front, back and ribbon for the following medal : Sweden, Medal for Life saving (King Gustavus V), Gold Medal ?

Please, it should be for Life Saving (Gustav V type - and in Gold).

Many Thanks in advance

Lilo

Edited by lilo

There is a couple of Swedish medals that could qualify as 'lifesaving medals' over the years.

Given the Gustav V period I would assume that it is the "Sui Memores Alios Fecere Merendo" ("F?r Ber?mliga G?rningar") medal.

The gold verison was awarded in "size 5" (24mm).

Foreign recipients got the medal with Latin text ("Sui Memores Alios Fecere Merendo") on the reverse. Swedish recipients got the medal with Swedish text on the reverse.

The recipients name was struck (not engraved) on the reverse as well.

The ribbon is dark blue with yellow edges.

The picture below shows the 'sister medal' "Illus Quorum Meruere Labores" ("F?r Medborgerlig F?rtj?nst")

Just replace the latin text and the name on the reverse.

Another possibility could be the "Medal for Bravery and Resource at Sea in Times of Danger" ("F?r Mod och R?dighet till Sj?ss under Farofylld tid"), but I'm not sure about the award criteria for it.

A Gustav V version can be seen here (site is a bit slow) Bravery and Resource at Sea

/Mike

This is one of the medals I mention (this one given to a Swedish woman), but if it's the one you're looking for only you can tell...

But I very much doubt it, since this "Illus Quorum Meruere Labores" ("F?r Medborgerlig F?rtj?nst") was a medal given for merit (40 years employment etc.).

I only mentioned it above because it looks quite similar to the "Sui Memores Alios Fecere Merendo" medal but with another inscription.

/Mike

Edited by Great Dane

Hi Mike,

If I have well understood the medal of which I posted the photo should be the correct one for the 'Life Saving' if it should have the "Sui Memores Alios Fecere Merendo" ("F?r Ber?mliga G?rningar") iscription on the back ?

In other words it is identical but with different inscription ?

Lilo

That's correct. It wil have either "Sui Memores Alios Fecere Merendo" or "F?r Ber?mliga G?rningar" on the reverse. The inscription on the obverse is a bit diffrent as well: "Gustavus V Svec Goth Vand Rex" on the Latin version and the same text but in Swedish "Gustav V Sveriges G?t o Vend Konung" on the Swedish version.

/Mike

Edited by Great Dane

Hi Mike,

Many thanks.

Let me start from where all the matter came from.

I read that the famous Capt Taprell Dorling (the writer of the book on ribbons and medals) was a British recipient of the so called : Sweden, Medal for Life saving at sea (King Gustavus V), Gold Medal, awarded to him in 1917.

Am I correct that He received the Exact medal whose photo I posted but with the Latin text "Sui Memores Alios Fecere Merendo" on the back ?

Please see photo below of the real medal bar of Capt Taprell Dorling. The medal in question is the last one on the rack (please note the particular suspension).

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hmm... the ribbon seems to be the dark blue with yellow edges used on so many Swedish medals, so at least we can rule out any life saving medals from local towns or associations.

The suspension is used on many Swedish medals as well (including the ones in question here), so that can't be used as identification either.

Your quote "Sweden, Medal for Life saving at sea" would point towards the "Medal for Bravery and Resource at Sea in Times of Danger", but if you follow the link I provided in post #2 it says that this medal was instituted in 1941(!)...

So unless you dig up more info my money is still on the "Sui Memores" medal.

/Mike

So unless you dig up more info my money is still on the "Sui Memores" medal.

/Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm a little confused !

Stating what above quoted, do you confirm that what I have stated in post #8 is correct ?

Lilo

You wrote:

"I read that the famous Capt Taprell Dorling (the writer of the book on ribbons and medals) was a British recipient of the so called : Sweden, Medal for Life saving at sea (King Gustavus V), Gold Medal, awarded to him in 1917."

So I assume you're quoting from something you read...?

And I'm referring to the words "at sea" in that sentence, which would indicate the "Medal for Bravery and Resource at Sea in Times of Danger", but it can't be because that one was apparently instituted in 1941.

So yes, until proven otherwise, I would think he was awarded the "Sui Memores" medal, that is:

"Gustavus V Svec Goth Vand Rex" on the obverse (like the obverse in post #2)

"Sui Memores Alios Fecere Merendo" and his name on the reverse (in the same style as the reverse in post #2)

/Mike

I have a list of the recipients of the "Illis Quorum" ("For Merit") medal.

Sometimes the Illis Quorum and the Sui Memores medals got mixed up when they decided who deserved what, because the award criteria changed over time and the two medals were so similar...

Taprell Dorling is not among the recipients of that one, so we can rule that one out. Just an extra check...

I hope that didn't make you more confused... ? :)

/Mike

Hi Mike,

I please you to see and read the article I have attached below. I took it from another forum and the person who posted it stated to have taken it from the 'Military Chest magazine' (half 80's).

I have underlined in red the relevant part in which it is stated that :

"One of his (T. Dorling) medals is the Gold Medal of King Gustavus V of Sweden for Life Saving, awarded after Taprell Dorling's ship, HMS Telemachus, had rescued a number of Swedish sailors whose vessel had been torpedoed in 1917. It is the last medal in his group."

Unquote

So, as He saved sailors at sea, I desumed that this medal was awarded 'For Saving life at SEA'.

Other factors important to correctly identify what Dorling received, at least in my mind, are :

- the fact that the medal was a 'Gustav V' type;

- the particular suspension that this medal has;

- the fact that it was awarded in 1917.

Excluding the award of the "Medal for Bravery and Resource at Sea in Times of Danger", because it was instituted in 1941, the only option that remain is the "Sui Memores" medal, with :

"Gustavus V Svec Goth Vand Rex" on the obverse;

"Sui Memores Alios Fecere Merendo" on the reverse.

Moreover what arise my confusion is the fact that the medal you posted in your post #2 is completely different (see for example the different type of the suspension) in respect to that awarded to T. Dorling.

To conclude this discussion, Am I correct in considering that the medal awarded to T. Dorling was in appearance identical to the one of the colour photo I posted in my post #3 but containing, instead, the following inscriptions :

obverse :"Gustavus V Svec Goth Vand Rex";

reverse : "Sui Memores Alios Fecere Merendo".

If your answer is yes (please let me know) all the confusion has disappeared !

Best Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Bearing in mind that we don't know for sure which medal it was, then YES.

Generally, for Swedish medals you shouldn't use the special suspension as a unique identifier. In Denmark it is known as "the Swedish suspension" and seems to appear and diappear on various Swedish medals. Heck, even a Danish Medal of Recompense awarded to a Swede was equipped with "the Swedish suspension"...

/Mike

Bearing in mind that we don't know for sure which medal it was, then YES.

Generally, for Swedish medals you shouldn't use the special suspension as a unique identifier. In Denmark it is known as "the Swedish suspension" and seems to appear and diappear on various Swedish medals. Heck, even a Danish Medal of Recompense awarded to a Swede was equipped with "the Swedish suspension"...

/Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your continuos and very precious Help !

Best Regards

Lilo

I agree with Mike that the medal probably is "Sui memores alios fecere merendo". The medal is an older version of the medal "F?r ber?mliga g?rningar"(For conspicuous deeds). Before 1832 it was awarded to Swedes also and after that year mostly to foreigners, amung other things for lifesaving.

The text on the reverse is in five lines like this:

Sui

memores

alios

fecere

merendo

The Swedish version has the text on the edge of the reverse like the pictures shown.

/Kim