News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Did or Not the Earl of Athlone received the Sachsen-Koburg-Gotha Medal 1899 ?

Hello All,

I posted a similar question for the Duke of Connaught (see : http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33750)

In the previous post it was supposed as almost certain that the Duke of Connaught, although not participating at the events commemorated by the two Sachsen-Koburg-Gotha medals (1899 and 1905), being a prominent member of the Royal Family, with great probability indeed received them.

So, for the award of these 2 medals in the specific case of the Duke of Connaught, we must bear in mind two important facts :

1) The particular blood link with the two personages issuing the two Sachsen-Koburg-Gotha medals (1899 and 1905) respectively brother e nephew;

2) The fact that the same Duke of Connaught, in 1899, came into direct line of succession to the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha in Germany. He decided, however, to renounce his own and his son's succession rights to the duchy, which then passed to his nephew, Prince Charles Edward (whose wedding was commemorated by the Sachsen-Koburg-Gotha medal of 1905).

Regarding Brigadier-General Sir Alexander Augustus Frederick William Alfred George Cambridge (1874-1957) -Viscount Trematon in the county of Cambridge and Earl of Athlone-

He received for SURE the 'Sachsen-Koburg-Gotha, Wedding Medal Carl Eduard & Adelheid, 1905', for the following reasons :

1) He is confirmed as having received this medal according to what found in the British National Archives;

2) He is the brother of the wife of Duke Carl Edward of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (the person whose wedding was commemorated by the 1905 medal);

3) He is mentioned in two Times articles (12 Oct 1905, pg. 3 - and - 14 Oct 1905, pg. 9), as having participated to the wedding ceremony of Duke Carl Edward of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, on 11. Oct. 1905.

My Question

What I would like to know is your opinion if the Earl of Athlone got or NOT also the 'Sachsen-Koburg-Gotha, Wedding Jubilee Medal Alfred & Marie, 1899'.

You should bear in mind the following facts before giving your opinion :

1) Although the Earl of Athlone was a 'Royal Family' member, the blood link were different to those of the Duke of Connaught. In fact, although He was a great-great nephew of King George III and the brother of Queen Mary -(that married the future King George V, on 6 July 1893, in London)- in the year 1899 he had no direct relationship with the Royal Family to be invited, I think, to the event commemorating the '25? wedding year' of a Royal Family member;

2) Also, according the article on 'The Times, Jan 24, 1899, pg. 5 (Silver Wedding of the Duke of Saxe-Coburg)', the Earl of Athlone (than the Duke of Cambridge) was NOT present at the '25? wedding year' celebrations;

3) Last, in 1899, we can locate the future Earl of Athlone as campaigning in South Africa so excluding his presence in the UK, Germany or elsewhere.

Awaiting to hear your precious considerations

Best Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hello Lilo,

As I stated before, based upon the evidence presented, I feel that the Duke of Connaught probably

received the awards in question. I also base this opinion on his ?rank? within the Royal Family and

relationship (in one case, brother, in the other, uncle) to the one of honorees.

In the case of Viscount Trematon and the Sachsen-Koburg-Gotha, Wedding Jubilee Medal Alfred & Marie,

1899, I can only offer an unsubstantiated opinion to the effect that I doubt that he received the medal.

This is not only based on attendance and participation criteria, where I gave the Duke of Connaught a

pass, but rather his relatively (no pun intended) distant relationship, to the honorees. Of course all of

this depends on family relations, politics and protocol - all of which are out of my area.

Regards,

Wild Card