News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Highlanders badges - period ? Value ?

The Black Watch Other Ranks below Sergeant, in white metal, Victorian era but not scarce - price, I don't know - ?40?

Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, in use from Victorian times,whitte metal gave way to anodised aluminium in the 1950's / 60's, I would think that there were some later white metal private productions though. Again I'm not too sure of price, but it's common - ?6 - ?10?

The Black Watch is KK 655 - like all or most of its variations over the years, t was probably produced with "Lacesset" spelt as "Lacessit" too.

The A & SH badge is KK 698 as a generic representation - it was produced in numerous variations, even within the same material of white metal - voided, unvoided, fat cat, thin cat, cat facing its front, its left, with tail, without tail, with thistle leaves over the stems of the thistle at the base of the design & without, pronounced convex centre, almost flat centre.

Thanks very much, LK. Your opinion is always appreciated ( you gave me some info on a Leeds Pals badge over on Wehrmacht and told me about this brilliant forum )

So you think the Black Watch is an ok, period example ?

Yep, looks ok from those photos, if you check out a few of the online dealer's sites you'll get an idea of the current going price, I think that I've seen them in the past at ?75, ?100, but that's pushing it - I reckon ?40's more like it.

There's a site somewhere (I've lost the bookmark) which provides a gallery of Brit cap badges, it shows loads of the A & SH variations, they are a subject in themselves. Anybody got a link to anything that sounds like it?

Posting any more?

Oh yes !!! Have loads of them.

Any idea about a pair of two piece badges with CG surmounted by a rose ? They're like the SG Scot's Greys. Could they be Coldstream Guards ( but wouldn't have thought the rose would match ? )

I'll take an overview pic and then you can request for more detail on anything you see fit.

Thanks again, Leigh.

Yes, it's an officer's badge, worn on the feather bonnet, white helmet & other headress. King's Crown so post circa 1902 - the 1930's - the scrolls were removed from the design in the 1930's, but this style was still worn. From the late 50's - late 60's the Highland Brigade badge was worn instead of the regimental pattern, & after that the St Edward's Crown version which was introduced during the 50's with the accession of QEII.

Sergeants wore the badge in white metal & gilt, officers in silver & gilt.

I have no knowledge of hallmarks on silver, but your badge has hallmarks so hopefully you can date it.