News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Boxer Rebellion Fotos

Gordon Craig

Here is a foto I picked up years ago during a stop at an antique store some where north of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It was one of several with the same U.S. army captains name on it. Wish now that I had bought more of them! On the back someone has written; "Russian soldiers, en-route to Peking, China". If you have any more pics relating to the military mission to China during the Boxer Rebellion please post them.

Regards,

Gordon

SMS Gneisenau (a German ship) sailors (left background) socializing with Russian soldiers, dated 1903 (post-Boxer Rebellion). Seen on EBay some time ago.

For info on Russian troop units in China, see Russian Operations in the Boxer Rebellion . As regards infantry, it looks like only three line Rifle regiments plus a whole series of Siberian Rifle regiments were involved. No regiments from the main line of over 200 numbered Infantry (different from "Rifle") regiments took part, since they were only stationed in European Russia.

Regards,

Mark C

Maryland

China1903.gif

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Gordon

Would you be prepared to let me have a good quality scan of this photo, please? It is for use in a book on the armies of the Boxer Uprising & 8 Powers War. These photos are in the US NARA collection, and in the public domain, but I have lost contact with the guy who used to dig them out for me - and as I am in the UK, it makes it difficult (NARA admin is amazingly bad and almost, it seems, delibertely obstructive). You would get an acknowledgement as the source, of course.

Mark,

First, thanks again for your wonderful Russian sources website. Next - the same question as above. Do you have a high res scan of the photos you've posted which I could use (you and your website are already in the acknowledgements in the book), please?

Any Other Member

If anyone else has any photos of the Boxer Uprising they would be prepared to allow to be used, please get in touch with me.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Blake,

I would be more than glad to send you a high res scan. Might take a few days as a host of workmen are jack hammering the roof top terrace of my house and we are in the hotel for at least the rest of this week. If you don't hear from me in two weeks give me a nudge.

Regards,

Gordon

Sorry, these scans are all I have. I don't have the paper copies.

Regards,

Mark

Gordon

Would you be prepared to let me have a good quality scan of this photo, please? It is for use in a book on the armies of the Boxer Uprising & 8 Powers War. These photos are in the US NARA collection, and in the public domain, but I have lost contact with the guy who used to dig them out for me - and as I am in the UK, it makes it difficult (NARA admin is amazingly bad and almost, it seems, delibertely obstructive). You would get an acknowledgement as the source, of course.

Mark,

First, thanks again for your wonderful Russian sources website. Next - the same question as above. Do you have a high res scan of the photos you've posted which I could use (you and your website are already in the acknowledgements in the book), please?

Any Other Member

If anyone else has any photos of the Boxer Uprising they would be prepared to allow to be used, please get in touch with me.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

I just had a look for my picture but could not find it. Strange because I had no problems finding it when I started this thread. I am only in our apartment for a few minutes to get some clean clothes before going back to the hotel. No dates yet when we can move back into our apartment but when we do I will have more time to locate the photo.

Regards,

Gordon

• 3 years later...