News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red and White plume made by hawkes and co

Hello Gentlemen,

Please could anyone help with the identification and value of this red and white plume contained in it;s original tin, allthough i have collected medals for over 35 years i know very little about uniform.Please any information would be most welcome,see attached pictures.

kind Regards David

• 1 month later...

David - I would identify this as a general's plumes to be screwed into the top of a bicorne (pointed at each end) ceremonial hat.

The feathers are from swans and generally - the larger the length of the plumes, the higher the rank. I have some for very senior Met. police officers and they are blue - not red - and the feathers are shorter.

The type of tins these were carried in had a shiny brown varnish finish - known as 'japanning' - the plumes were never left on the hat. Most examples - I have seen of these tins - have the owner's name painted on. Have a close look - it could help you to identify him. By the way - there were two ways of fixing the feathers to the hat - the screw type shown here - and, sometimes a wire bracket which slipped into a sewn pocket in the top of the hat.

Mervyn (p.s. it could also be for a : Gentleman at Arms : Diplomatic Corps etc. - look for the name.)

David - I would identify this as a general's plumes to be screwed into the top of a bicorne (pointed at each end) ceremonial hat.

The feathers are from swans and generally - the larger the length of the plumes, the higher the rank. I have some for very senior Met. police officers and they are blue - not red - and the feathers are shorter.

The type of tins these were carried in had a shiny brown varnish finish - known as 'japanning' - the plumes were never left on the hat. Most examples - I have seen of these tins - have the owner's name painted on. Have a close look - it could help you to identify him. By the way - there were two ways of fixing the feathers to the hat - the screw type shown here - and, sometimes a wire bracket which slipped into a sewn pocket in the top of the hat.

Mervyn (p.s. it could also be for a : Gentleman at Arms : Diplomatic Corps etc. - look for the name.)

Hello Sir,

My sincere apologies i had not been notified of any response to this post,i cannot find any name on the tin other than the maker. I was offered this to purchase but had no idea of it's value,i have purchased a number of item's from this stately home which is being sold off and the owner keeps finding various bits and pieces all related in some way to his family.again my thanks for your help.

David (H)

Dear David - you have your answer. The family name from the estate could help you find him in Who's Who , and if they can give you a first name or, a clue as to who he was then it will be easier. You may have to go to a main centre - such as Cardiff - since you may have to go back even a 150 years. Also, if you can find a clue to his name - Google.

Value wise - approx. ?150 - again, don't forget to ask about medals,swords etc..

Please let me know how you get on - I will be interested.

Mervyn