News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Random Uniform Question

Brian R

I recently obtained this image - I'm pretty sure the girl on the lower right is my great grandmother. Her family was from Lithuania - this picture is probably from somewhere between 1905 and 1910. The question is... are the boys in the back wearing tunics from the Czar's Army?

I know nothing about this area of militaria collecting - any info is greatly appreciated!!!

Brian

Guest Rick Research

If I had to guess, despite the little girls' puffy "Gibson girl" sleeves... I'd say post 1918 because nobody Out East had buttoned upper pocket flaps like those before the Great War. From the position of the front buttons, these appear to be adult sizes which have been rather awkwardly reduced to fit them, so some sort of left over stock at that.

If it was taken in Lithuania, could be under the early Republic, with "British" wartime fashion in uniforms accounting for some thrifty "army surplus" attire-- but that would move dating to the 1920s.

Brian R,

I can not definitely identify the uniforms but I can post a couple of pictures from a Russian WWI family album to give you a better idea of what Russian uniforms of the period looked like. Most of the fotos in the album are not dated but there are a couple on the first page of the album that are dated 1916. The first picture is from the first page and shows the common Russian tunic of the period.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

The tunic in the next picture bears a resemblance to the one in yours but is definitely different. As both photos are undated it is virtually impossible to date them exactly but WWI period would seem to be very accurate. Especially considering the other 50 of so pictures in the album.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also say late-WWI or early post-war, if the tunics are to be military. Such styles, with the integral cloth belt, are much more 1918-1920 than say, 1910.

If the photo is indeed from 1910 or earlier, than the boys in the tunics are almost certainly civilians in civilian coats.

My guess is 1910, civilians.

Regards,

Mark C

Maryland

• 4 weeks later...

Brian R,

I can not definitely identify the uniforms but I can post a couple of pictures from a Russian WWI family album to give you a better idea of what Russian uniforms of the period looked like. Most of the fotos in the album are not dated but there are a couple on the first page of the album that are dated 1916. The first picture is from the first page and shows the common Russian tunic of the period.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

Do your know the name of the officer?

Regards,

Sergey.

Edited by Sergey W

The backs of these two photos.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon.

Thanks a lot.

The name of this staff captain of 9 grenadier Siberian regiment is Alexander.

I know only one Alexander in this regiment decorated with 4 class St. George order - Alexander Sotskiy (Александр Соцкий).

Regards,

Sergey.

P.S. I hope you excuse my bad English. S.

Edited by Sergey W

Sergey,

There is nothing wrong with your English. Thanks for asking the question and for sending we the information you found out from the backs of the pictures. Interesting information to me. The pictures came from an album of WWII Russian troops and I'd like to post some more photos with writing on the back and see what elase we can find out about those people who appear in the album. Would you be willing to do this?

Regards,

Gordon

Sergey,

... I'd like to post some more photos with writing on the back and see what elase we can find out about those people who appear in the album. Would you be willing to do this?

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

No problem. Don't hesitate to ask me.

Regards,

Sergey

• 1 month later...

My apologies - I posted this question and never came back. My wife gave birth to our second child just a few days later. A new born and a three-year old kept me away from the forum for the next three months.

I'm going to believe, at this point, that these are civilian tunics - mostly becuase I still believe this picture is from before 1910. If I find out anything else in the future about the details of this photo, I will follow up.

Thanks again,

Brian