News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I've had this pair for several years and it has always puzzled me a bit. The Colonial Medal is definitely the small size for native troops. However, the Kreigs Verdienst Medal is the large Prussian style, not the small Empire type. I have been told that this style was awarded to some non-Germans during WWI in lieu of the EKII but, have not been able to confirm that. Is this combination legit?

Interresting one, but however, I'm unaware of any MEZ2 given to Blacks. Even back in Wissmann's times those got the (back then) Prussian Kriegerverdienstmedaille, later the "Reichs" issue in four classes.

Thanks for the additional pictures!

From what i can judge with the pictures i'm not 100% about the colonial medals originality.

As if you have a closer look on the reverse lettering.

Easiest would be the last word "EHRE" there the first "E" is missing/crudly made lower part of it and the last "E" seems as if there are no well made "ends" at the top and bottom of the letter.

Also have a look at the rim of the medal - if you can see indicators of casting there.

If so, i would imagine, that the bar was originaly going with a "normal" colonial medal and this one was later replaced by a repro of a "black" colonial medal.

Christian

PS: attached a pic of the reverse of a "normal" colonial medal for comparison

Edited by Christian L