News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Henry William Gilbert - His service history

Morning Gentlemen

I am looking for information pertaining to the service of one Henry William Gilbert. He was my great grandfather.

What makes things difficult to trace his history, especially his early year, was because he was orphaned at a young age. He was born in the UK in 1881 or 1883 (Surrey ?). Apparently he went to a naval college in London. He joined up for the second Anglo-Boer War and reached South Africa with the forces of Lord Kitchener (Not entirely sure). I have no further information of his service during the said war. Would love to know which medals he received. After the war he stayed on in Cape Town, South Africa and married in 1905.

For the 1st World War, his BWM is still in the family's possession but no other medal. This may be his only WW1 medal as he was working as the Chief Signaller of one of the lighthouses in Cape Town (maybe also during the war period). Not sure if he served in the GSWA campaign.

I need plenty of information, but especially the early years (before and during the Anglo-Boer War) to find clues to follow up on with regard to his life story. Elders in family have all passed away, thus no clear concise history available.

Any bits and pieces will be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Regards

Norman

For the 1st World War, his BWM is still in the family's possession but no other medal. This may be his only WW1 medal as he was working as the Chief Signaller of one of the lighthouses in Cape Town (maybe also during the war period). Not sure if he served in the GSWA campaign.

Hi Norman

From the Cape of Good Hope Civil Service List 1910: an H.W. Gilbert was 2nd Assistant Lightkeeper at the Great Fish Point lighthouse. His date of appointment (and entry into the Civil Service) was 4 January 1908.

• 6 months later...
    • 10 months later...

Any more informaton on Henry William Gilbert? Names of parents, siblings, that sort of thing?

Afternoon Everybody

An update on what I could find

Henry William Gilbert was born 5 Dec 1880 in Debtford, London?(to be confrmed) and served on HMS Doris during the Anglo-Boer War. He was awarded the QSA with the Cape Colony Clasp and was one of only 20 Royal Navy personnel to be awarded the Kings South Africa Medal for service ashore in the Cape. His service number in the Royal Navy was 190549? (to be confirmed) and he served as a qualified signalman.

:banger: I'm struggling to trace his date of birth, parents names etc. This will help me go beyond the 4th generation down in history of my family.

Any help welcome.

Regards

Norman