News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I just acquired this tally. It is approximately 57 inches long. I do not see any needle holes in the silk so I don't think it was ever mounted and worn.

The thread seems metallic and gold like. I am hoping it is bullion.

Would someone please comment as to originality and vintage????

Many thanks,

Rod

Guest Rick Research

That would date from during the first World War, and most likely have been worn on a Fieldgray cap-- since this was a Marinekorps Flandern "dirt navy" unit.

So at the front like this:

Rod,

Not sure what your reference to holes in the tally could mean. These were put on the cap and held in place by the channel that they lay in and the tension from the rear of the cap where the tally was threaded through some retaining loops. I have this same tally and it might have been worn on a blue or a white cap as well, but like Rick says, most likely it would have been seen on a gray cotton navy cap.

Chip

Rick,

Thanks for the information!!!!!!

I have read there are many reproduction tallys floating around. I think this is a good one as it is so well made, i.e. with the "gold thread" and perhaps an early one before yellow thread was used (I think) . Again, I could be all wet!! :speechless:

Rod

Rod,

There was no yellow thread until long after the war. Imperial navy metallic threads were either gold or silver colored wire. There was also a red thread (Schiffsjungen).

Chip