News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Guys,

I`m new to the forum, so please forgive me if this topic has already been covered. But I`m curious to know if anyone has heard anything about a new preposed clasp to be awarded for the Operation Service Medal, for Afghanistan. I know this medal has recently begun to be issued with a clasp `Afghanistan`, but I`ve heard talk of an additional clasp covering service in Helmend, has anyone else here this?

The Monkey God :cheers:

This is what sparked my interest in this topic.....

The Operational Service Medal (OSM) for Afghanistan

Medal

Silver and circular in shape. The obverse of the medal shows the crowned effigy of Queen Elizabeth. The reverse (shown here) bears the Union Flag, surrounded by the inscription 'For Operational Service' and the four major points of the compass, with four Coronets: Royal (top left), Naval (top right), Mural-Army (bottom left), and Astral-Royal Air Force (bottom right).

Clasp

'Afghanistan'. Awarded with the Medal for service specifically in Afghanistan. When the ribbon alone is worn, a silver rosette denotes award of the Clasp.Ribbon

A broad central red stripe, flanked each side by a stripe of royal blue and one of light blue, to represent the three services, with an outer stripe of light brown to reflect the landscape of Afghanistan.

Qualifying criteria

Complex criteria govern the award of this medal, with varying lengths of service required depending on the operation and location.

About the OSM

The new Operational Service Medal (OSM) was introduced on 1 January 2000 and at the same time the General Service Medal (GSM) was discontinued, with the exception of the award of the GSM for Northern Ireland.

Since its introduction, three OSMs have been issued: for service in Sierra Leone, Afghanistan and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Although each OSM will look the same, separate ribbons will denote each separate award.

A Clasp may be awarded with the OSM to signify service in a more dangerous area or period of conflict.

The "Afghanistan" Clasp is awarded for service specifically in Afghanistan. Rosette on ribbon denotes clasp when no medal is worn. There are two types of 'Afghanistan' clasps to date, the first initial issue from 2002-2004 the clasp had a smooth background behind the writing and from Op Herrick onwards (2005 to present) the clasp has a 'dappled' effect behind the writing, just like the 'Northern Ireland' clasp on the 1962-2007 General Service Medal. The medal is issued without the clasp for service outside Afghanistan in support of ongoing operations, i.e Pakistan and Oman.

• 2 weeks later...

The likelihood of an additional clasp is very slim. As for making sense of the logic behind ribbons clasps and rosettes on the various OSMs? Don't bother. It was designed by a committee who made it up as they went along in between rounds of golf.

The likelihood of an additional clasp is very slim. As for making sense of the logic behind ribbons clasps and rosettes on the various OSMs? Don't bother. It was designed by a committee who made it up as they went along in between rounds of golf.

Which medals haven't been designed by "committees"???

Cheers Tony, that speaks volumes!!!! :cheers: I think your right on both accounts.

• 2 weeks later...