News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The stripes would just be worn side by side, vertically, on the left lower sleeve.

I have a piece of dark blue material (copper/ARP?) with 3 stripes side by side. Instead of using the backing plate and pins, the lugs have been bent downwards over the plates holding the stripes in place. It looks to me as if the material with stripes was sewn onto the sleeve.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Yes, perhaps there was a reluctance to make holes in the sleeves of police tunics because tunics would be reissued & an outline of stitching from a sewn on patch was preferable to frayed holes.

The wound stripes mounted on a patch of cloth that I posted on the linked thread http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12204 are a sew on patch.

• 8 months later...

Two things to note:

the wound badge was for each OCCASION wounded, not each wound, and gassing counted, as did enemy barbed wire.

There is no truth in the oft-heard cobblers that the double Russia braid badge was for officers: it was the only official issue, widely flouted by using the private-purchase tailors gilding metal versions.

Naturally, the latter have survived rather better.

• 3 weeks later...

I've posted on a previous thread that "When the British wound stripe was bought in during WWI "shell shock" & gassing were'nt sufficient to earn it - given the attitudes of the time then I can perhaps understand why shell shock did'nt qualify, but I don't understand why suffering gas burns etc did'nt qualify".

Unfortunately, I have'nt quoted a source for that info.

Also previously posted: from Medal News, May 2005 - an article by Don McLean - As the memories fade..."

This is about a booklet entitled "Soldiers' & Sailors' Rights", published 1917 & whch has a section:

Wound Badge: In July 1916, the authorties approved of the wearing of badges for officers and men who have been wounded since August 4, 1914. The badges are strips of gold Russian braid, two inches in length, sewn perpendicular near the bottom of the left sleeve of the jacket and each strip will mark each occasion on which an officer or man has been wounded . These badges can be obtained from the Army Ordnance Department.

Badges for Wounded Naval Men: The much appreciated decision of the Army Council to award gold stripes to wounded soldiers naturally called for similar recognition of the services in the Navy. The Admiralty lost no time in responding to the wish of the Navy, Dr Macnamara announcing in parliament on July 17, 1916, that it was proposed to issue distinctive badges for invalided and wounded naval men.